How come some pathogenic micoorganisms are commensals in our body?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, candida fungus is normally found in our skin and mucus membranes, but can cause infection under certain circumstances. The bacteria strep is also found on our skin, but can cause infection if inhaled into the lungs where it can easily enter the bloodstream and spread. More information can be found at roarproject.org/ROAR/html/commensal.htm.
sameeralord
For example candida fungus is a commensal in our skin and mucus membrane, but it can cause infection. So I'm asking why is it not causing infection in everyone, are the commensal form of candida harmless, so to get the infection we must inhale patogenic candida. Thanks :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
depends where it is... strep is on our skin all the time, but if i lick my finger, then choke a bit and inhale some saliva, now its in my lungs which is a totally different environment where it may be easier for the bacteria to infiltrate the blood system and spread infection which is detected by swelling of the lymph nodes.

This has some hover-over stuff, looks pretty decent to me:
roarproject.org/ROAR/html/commensal.htm

1. Why do some pathogenic microorganisms live in our body without causing harm?

Some pathogenic microorganisms are able to live in our body without causing harm because they have adapted to our body's environment and have developed mechanisms to evade our immune system. They may also compete with other harmful microorganisms for resources, limiting their growth and preventing them from causing disease.

2. How do commensal microorganisms benefit our body?

Commensal microorganisms can benefit our body by aiding in digestion, producing essential nutrients such as vitamins, and training our immune system to recognize and respond to harmful microorganisms. They also help to maintain a balance of microorganisms in our body, preventing overgrowth of harmful bacteria.

3. Can commensal microorganisms become pathogenic?

Yes, commensal microorganisms can become pathogenic if there is a change in their environment or if our immune system becomes compromised. For example, if our body's normal balance of microorganisms is disrupted, commensal bacteria may overgrow and cause infection.

4. How do we acquire commensal microorganisms?

Commensal microorganisms are acquired through various routes, such as during birth, through breast milk, and through contact with our environment. They can also be transferred from other individuals through close contact or by sharing personal items.

5. Can we control the growth of commensal microorganisms in our body?

While we cannot control the growth of commensal microorganisms directly, we can promote their growth through a healthy lifestyle and diet. Eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and avoiding unnecessary antibiotics can help maintain a healthy balance of microorganisms in our body. Additionally, maintaining good personal hygiene practices can prevent the spread of harmful microorganisms and maintain a healthy balance of commensal microorganisms in our body.