Impulse Response Function Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to solve for the Unit Step Response of a non-causal system, with the use of integrals and the knowledge of IRF and Unit Step functions. The system is analyzed according to different cases and the non-causal nature of the system is observed.
abcz4113
YQcgz8M.png
I attempted by inputting u(τ-t)u(t-τ) into the second part of the integral. Since I want to change the second part of the integral to go from [+∞, -∞]. And as for first part of the integral I added a u(t-τ) term after the x(τ) to change the integral from [t,-∞] into [+∞, -∞]. I am not sure if I did them right. And after factoring out the common term x(τ)u(t-τ) (I assume this is my input) from the two integrals I get that my IRF h(t,τ) = 1 + e^(t-τ) * u(τ-t). I am not sure about the answer and I did not know how to solve for the Unit Step Response of this system. Please Help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello abcz4113,

At first thought, I would separate the cases where [itex]t<0[/itex], [itex]t=0[/itex] and [itex]t>0[/itex], assuming your impulse or unit step happens at [itex]t=0[/itex], and use the knowledge of [itex]h(t)[/itex] and [itex]g(t)[/itex].

I will have a closer look at this in a moment.

My first observation is that this system seems to be non-causal. Compare the first integral to the convolution integral relating input to output, then ask yourself what the second integral is doing there ...

Thank you for your hints. I know how to do it now.

Your approach to finding the impulse response function is correct. The impulse response function is defined as the output of a system when an impulse input is applied, which is represented by the delta function δ(t). In this case, you have used the unit step function u(t) as the input. Both the unit step and delta functions are commonly used as test inputs in systems analysis.

Your resulting IRF h(t,τ) = 1 + e^(t-τ) * u(τ-t) is also correct. This function represents the output of the system at time t, given an input that occurred at time τ. To solve for the unit step response, you would need to integrate this function over all τ, from -∞ to +∞. This would give you the output of the system at time t for a step input applied at time 0.

Overall, your approach and answer seem correct. However, it would be helpful to provide more context and information about the system in question, as well as any assumptions made during the solution process. This would allow for a more thorough evaluation and potential suggestions for improvement.

1. What is an Impulse Response Function (IRF)?

An Impulse Response Function (IRF) is a mathematical concept used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics, to represent the relationship between a variable and its response to a sudden and temporary change in another variable. It shows the changes in the output variable over time in response to a sudden "impulse" or shock to the input variable.

2. What is the purpose of using IRF in research?

The use of IRF allows researchers to analyze the dynamic relationship between variables and evaluate the impact of a specific event or shock on the system. It also helps in predicting the future behavior of the system and understanding the underlying mechanisms that drive it.

3. How is an IRF calculated?

An IRF is typically calculated through mathematical models, such as impulse response analysis in econometrics or signal processing techniques in engineering. It involves convolving the input variable with an impulse function to produce the response function.

4. Can IRF be used to analyze any type of data?

IRF can be used to analyze any data that involves a cause-and-effect relationship between variables. It is commonly used in time-series analysis, where the variables are measured over time, but it can also be applied to cross-sectional data.

5. What are the limitations of using IRF in research?

One of the main limitations of using IRF is its sensitivity to the choice of the impulse function and the model used. Different impulse functions can produce different results, which may affect the interpretation of the relationship between variables. Additionally, IRF can only capture linear relationships between variables, and may not be suitable for analyzing complex and nonlinear systems.