Signal and Systems: Verify the impulse response of this system

SumDood_
Homework Statement
Verify that the impulse response of this system is h(t) = e^(-2t)u(t)
Relevant Equations
Impulse response => x(t) = impulse
Verify that the impulse response of this system is ##h(t) = e^{-2t}u(t)## for the following system
$$\frac{dy(t)}{dt} + 2y(t) = x(t)$$

So this is what I did first,
$$
\begin{align}
\frac{dh(t)}{dt} + 2h(t) &= \delta (t) \\
\frac{d}{dt}e^{-2t}u(t) + 2e^{-2t}u(t) &= \delta (t) \\
-2e^{-2t}u(t) + 2e^{-2t}u(t) &= \delta (t) \\
0 &= \delta (t)
\end{align}
$$
Of course, my solution is wrong. Honestly, at the beginning, I didn't know what I am supposed to get that would verify that the impulse response of the system is ##h(t) = e^{-2t}u(t)##.
So, first, what mistake did I make when simplifying after substituting ##h(t)## and ##x(t)##?
Second, what form does the final statement need to take to actually verify the impulse response? Should I end up with a true statement?

Physics news on Phys.org
SumDood_ said:
Homework Statement: Verify that the impulse response of this system is h(t) = e^(-2t)u(t)
Relevant Equations: Impulse response => x(t) = impulse

Verify that the impulse response of this system is ##h(t) = e^{-2t}u(t)## for the following system
$$\frac{dy(t)}{dt} + 2y(t) = x(t)$$

So this is what I did first,
$$
\begin{align}
\frac{dh(t)}{dt} + 2h(t) &= \delta (t) \\
\frac{d}{dt}e^{-2t}u(t) + 2e^{-2t}u(t) &= \delta (t) \\
-2e^{-2t}u(t) + 2e^{-2t}u(t) &= \delta (t) \\
0 &= \delta (t)
\end{align}
$$
Of course, my solution is wrong. Honestly, at the beginning, I didn't know what I am supposed to get that would verify that the impulse response of the system is ##h(t) = e^{-2t}u(t)##.
So, first, what mistake did I make when simplifying after substituting ##h(t)## and ##x(t)##?
Second, what form does the final statement need to take to actually verify the impulse response? Should I end up with a true statement?
## \frac{d}{dt}[e^{-2t}u(t)] \neq -2e^{-2t}u(t) ##. Use the product rule, ##u(t)## is also a differentiable function of ##t##.

Likes SumDood_
DaveE said:
## \frac{d}{dt}[e^{-2t}u(t)] \neq -2e^{-2t}u(t) ##. Use the product rule, ##u(t)## is also a differentiable function of ##t##.
Got the right solution, thanks!

Likes berkeman and DaveE

1. What is the impulse response of a system?

The impulse response of a system is the output of the system when an impulse signal (a short burst of energy) is applied as the input. It represents the behavior of the system in the time domain.

2. How do you verify the impulse response of a system?

To verify the impulse response of a system, you can apply an impulse signal as the input and measure the output. The resulting output should match the expected impulse response of the system.

3. Why is it important to verify the impulse response of a system?

Verifying the impulse response of a system is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the system and ensure that it is functioning as expected. It is also a crucial step in the analysis and design of systems.

4. What are some common methods for verifying the impulse response of a system?

Some common methods for verifying the impulse response of a system include applying an impulse signal and measuring the output, using mathematical calculations based on the system's transfer function, and using simulation software.

5. Can the impulse response of a system change over time?

Yes, the impulse response of a system can change over time if the system is dynamic or if there are changes in its parameters or inputs. It is important to regularly verify the impulse response to ensure that the system is still functioning as intended.