A rule for lightning that’s like the inverse square

In summary: But if you were on the sun, it would be a very large line source.In summary, the inverse square law is still applicable to point sources, but it's also applicable to large line sources.
thenewmans
A point source of energy often follows the inverse square rule. So if I move my projector back twice as far, the image is 1/4 as bright. If I move half the distance closer to the TV, I can hear it 4 times louder. I’m guessing this rule doesn’t work so well for thunder and lightning since it’s more like a line source than a point source. So if lightning strikes a mile from Alice and 2 miles from Bob, is it half as loud and half as bright for Bob?

Science news on Phys.org
An infinite line source will fall off as 1/s in power because it is only spreading out in two dimensions, not three, due to its invariance in the third dimension. However, lightning is not an infinite line source, so it will still follow the inverse square law rule in the far field. The inverse square law is not applicable to only point sources. If I have a large antenna array, I will still experience the same space loss factor as I would for a Herztian antenna in the far field. The largest difference is where that far fiel starts since it is dependent not only on the wavelength but the characteristic size of the radiator.

I think we'll need mathematical analysis to figure this out.

You could treat this line source as an infinite number as point sources each acting as an inverse square. It would be a integral over all of the individual point sources.

Here's the reason I thought it might just be the inverse of the distance. You can relate inverse square with the area of a sphere, 4pi*r^2. The volume (loudness) at 1 mile from an explosion is spread out over a greater surface at 2 miles. If you compare the surface areas, the 4pi parts cancel out and you're left with the r^2 part. So sound energy gets spread out over an area 4 times larger. So it's 1/4 as loud. That's inverse square.

For a line source, I'm thinking of a cylinder with the surface area of 2pi*r*h. If you use that to compare 1 and 2 miles from lighting, the 2pi*h parts cancel out and you're left with r. So it's half as loud and half as bright at 2 miles.

Another way I thought about this is if Alice and Bob both got photos of the middle section of the lighting. The bright part in Bob's shot would be half as wide as it is in Alice's. Yet they'd both go from top to bottom in the shot sh they'd have the same height. So Bob's bright part would cover half as much of the photo. Does that make sense?

Well, if you're far enough away, it does turn into a point source. To us, the sun is a point source in some cases.

1. What is the inverse square rule for lightning?

The inverse square rule for lightning states that the intensity of a lightning strike decreases in proportion to the square of the distance from the strike.

2. How does the inverse square rule apply to lightning?

The inverse square rule applies to lightning because the energy of the strike is spread out over a larger area as it travels away from the point of origin, resulting in a decrease in intensity.

3. Why is the inverse square rule important in understanding lightning?

Understanding the inverse square rule is important in predicting the potential danger and damage of a lightning strike. It also helps in understanding the behavior and characteristics of lightning.

4. Is the inverse square rule the only factor that affects the intensity of a lightning strike?

No, there are other factors that can affect the intensity of a lightning strike, such as the size and shape of the strike, the type of terrain it strikes, and the presence of conductive materials.

5. How can the inverse square rule be applied in real-life situations?

The inverse square rule can be applied in various fields such as engineering, meteorology, and safety planning. For example, it can be used to design lightning protection systems and to determine safe distances for outdoor events during a thunderstorm.