How can I use the Excel solver to solve systems of equations?

In summary, The conversation involves a person seeking help with solving a system of inequalities, but they are unsure how to use Excel to solve it. Another person suggests graphing the inequalities and finding the intersection points to determine the solution region. The person seeking help successfully graphs the inequalities and finds the solution to be x=540 and y=252.
rei1574
I need to solve this system of equations.

7/10S + 1D <=630
1/2S + 5/6D <= 600
1S + 2/3D <=708
1/10S + 1/4D <=135

I attempted to use the Excel solver to figure it out, but I couldn't understand completely how to work it.

Any ideas on how I can get started?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I read this right, there are just 2 unknowns, S and D. You have 4 equations. They are linearly dependent. That's probably why Excel barfed. With just 2 unknowns, just take 2 of them and solve by substitution. Should be straightforward.

Whoops, inequalities! Hmmm, don't know.

I need help with this problem.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Graphing always works when in doubt just graph them and see what kind of a soluiton set you get. Remeber greater then shades up and less than shades down.

Yep, just figured it out. In addition to graphing to see what you get, you can also find the interesection of each corner of the region analytically. Consider each equation an equality instead of inequality. You have 4 linear equations of D in S (or S in D). Remembering how to find intersections between 2 lines you can get all of the intersection points that define the solution region. Graphing will help you decide which pairs of equations are appropriate.

Last edited:
prove that a set with an uncountable subset is itself uncountable

hotvette said:
Yep, just figured it out. In addition to graphing to see what you get, you can also find the interesection of each corner of the region analytically. Consider each equation an equality instead of inequality. You have 4 linear equations of D in S (or S in D). Remembering how to find intersections between 2 lines you can get all of the intersection points that define the solution region. Graphing will help you decide which pairs of equations are appropriate.
So I should rewrite the equations.. setting S = Y and D = X? and then graph it on my TI-86?

Yep, but I did it the other way around (substitute X for S and Y for D). I don't see why it should matter which way you do it. For graphing, I used Excel, but that shouldn't matter either. You should find that the intersecting lines define a region that constitutes the solution.

hotvette said:
Yep, but I did it the other way around (substitute X for S and Y for D). I don't see why it should matter which way you do it. For graphing, I used Excel, but that shouldn't matter either. You should find that the intersecting lines define a region that constitutes the solution.
I got
y<= /710x + 630
y<= (-.5x + 600)(6/5)
y<=(-x+708)(3/2)
y<=(-1/10x+135(4)

i graphed it on my TI-86 (don't know how in excel).. and the lines don't all intersect at 1 point

Re check the first equation. Slope is wrong.

hotvette said:
Re check the first equation. Slope is wrong.
whoops, I mistyped it.. its 7/10

I got 540,252 as my max.

Looks to be right.

Check the sign of the slope.

What is the definition of a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations with multiple variables that are solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations.

What are the different methods for solving systems of equations?

The most commonly used methods for solving systems of equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. Other methods include matrix methods, Cramer's rule, and Gaussian elimination.

How do you know if a system of equations has a unique solution?

A system of equations has a unique solution if the number of equations is equal to the number of variables, and the equations are independent (not multiples of each other).

What is the importance of solving systems of equations?

Solving systems of equations is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and statistics. It allows us to find the relationship between variables and make predictions or solve real-world problems.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving systems of equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving systems of equations include not checking for extraneous solutions, not simplifying fractions, and making arithmetic errors. It is also important to double-check the solutions by substituting them back into the original equations.