Equation for an oscillating spring (w/ demping)

In summary, the person is asking about the difference between angular velocity and angular frequency. angular velocity and angular frequency mean the same thing.
link223
Homework Statement
A 0.835 -kg block oscillates on the end of a spring whose spring constant is k=41 N/m. The mass moves in a fluid which offers a resistive force F=−bv , where b=0.662 Ns/m.
Relevant Equations
##x(t) = Ae^{\gamma*t)*cos(\omega*t + \phi)##
yooo.
Some help on the following problem would be much appreciated.
I don't get how to solve the two equations I obtained for the COIs A and phi.

calculated: ##\omega == 7rad/s## and ##\gamma = 0.396s^-1##
for part C
we have two initial conditions:
at t = 0 > ##0 = Acos(\phi)##
at t = 1s > ##0.12 = A*e^{0.396}*cos(7 + \phi)##
Do I need to use trig identities or sometin?
1659071596078.png

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/304960

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to find ##\phi## quickly from your first equation if you noticed that ##A## can't be zero (or can it be, what are your thoughts on this?)

Then once you know ##\phi## you can find ##A## from your second equation.

BTW I am not sure if you calculated ##\omega## correctly (if you want to show us how you calculated), seems to me 7 is the ##\omega_0## that is the angular frequency of the undamped system

Delta2 said:
You should be able to find ##\phi## quickly from your first equation if you noticed that ##A## can't be zero (or can it be, what are your thoughts on this?)

BTW I am not sure if you calculated ##\omega## correctly (if you want to show us how you calculated), seems to me 7 is the ##\omega_0## that is the angular frequency of the undamped system
Hello, thank you for the response.
Indeed A cannot be 0 otherwise, there'd be no oscillation.
But I don't how I'd calculate ##\phi## from eq. (1), of course I know it's good for 3pi/2 and pi/2 but the problem is that I didn't see such an option in the multiple-choice selection, so I thought that it'd perhaps be some relation between the two equations. (i.e. they all just say ##cos(7t)## at the end)

And for ##\omega_0## what do you mean? it is calculated by ##\omega = \sqrt{\frac km + \frac {b^2}{4m^2}}##

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:

oh dear god... my apologies there are sines in the multiple choices... didn't look through it. apologies, I'll try work it out now. Thanks.

Likes Delta2
link223 said:
I didn't see such an option in the multiple-choice selection
Your original image does not show all of the options. You are supposed to post the entire question. That includes the options.

Likes link223 and Delta2
link223 said:
Hello, thank you for the response.
Indeed A cannot be 0 otherwise, there'd be no oscillation.
But I don't how I'd calculate ##\phi## from eq. (1), of course I know it's good for 3pi/2 and pi/2 but the problem is that I didn't see such an option in the multiple-choice selection, so I thought that it'd perhaps be some relation between the two equations. (i.e. they all just say ##cos(7t)## at the end)

And for ##\omega_0## what do you mean? it is calculated by ##\omega = \sqrt{\frac km + \frac {b^2}{4m^2}}##
Yes ok, now I see you used the correct formula for ##\omega## it is indeed rounded to 7, same as ##\omega_0##.

Likes link223
link223 said:
Sorry for being a bit pedantic but isn't there supposed to be a minus instead of a plus, that is $$\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}-\frac{b^2}{4m^2}}$$

Delta2 said:
Yes ok, now I see you used the correct formula for ##\omega## it is indeed rounded to 7, same as ##\omega_0##.
what is the difference between saying ##\omega## and ##\omega_0## ?

Delta2 said:
Sorry for being a bit pedantic but isn't there supposed to be a minus instead of a plus, that is $$\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}-\frac{b^2}{4m^2}}$$
Oh yeah, .. you are totally right, my apologies!...

link223 said:
what is the difference between saying ω and ω0 ?
Delta2 said:
BTW I am not sure if you calculated ω correctly (if you want to show us how you calculated), seems to me 7 is the ω0 that is the angular frequency of the undamped system
we usually denote ω0 as the angular velocity of an undamped HO. ω02 = k/m

malawi_glenn said:
we usually denote ω0 as the angular velocity of an undamped HO. ω02 = k/m
oh okay thank you. So what'd then be the difference b/n angual velocity and angular frequency. We haven't studied rotational motion yet, hence why I am asking.

link223 said:
then be the difference b/n angual velocity and angular frequency
in this case it means the same thing :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_velocity
In physics, angular velocity or rotational velocity (ω or Ω), also known as angular frequency vector

Did you solve the problem yet?
What were the other multiple choice options?

Likes Delta2 and link223
Orodruin said:
Did you solve the problem yet?
What were the other multiple choice options?
yep, forgot to post.
1659077846531.png

Likes Delta2
link223 said:
yep, forgot to post.
View attachment 304967
As I suspected. You do not need to do any computations at all to discard all of the wrong answers:
- The first two can be discarded because they do not satisfy x=0 at t=0.
- The last and the second can be discarded because there is no damping term, just harmonic oscillation.
(So the second alternative is discarded by both arguments)

In multiple choice questions it often helps to first stop and think about if you can trivially rule out some alternatives by simple arguments. This often shows more understanding of the underlying physics than blindly entering into the algebra.

Likes Steve4Physics and link223
Orodruin said:
As I suspected. You do not need to do any computations at all to discard all of the wrong answers:
- The first two can be discarded because they do not satisfy x=0 at t=0.
- The last and the second can be discarded because there is no damping term, just harmonic oscillation.
(So the second alternative is discarded by both arguments)

In multiple choice questions it often helps to first stop and think about if you can trivially rule out some alternatives by simple arguments. This often shows more understanding of the underlying physics than blindly entering into the algebra.
true you're right, I actually thought about as there won't be no multiple choice on the exam so most of the time I go straight for the analytical method.
Thanks for this pov.

also .. I actually forgot to ask..
I get ##\phi = \frac{\pi}{2}## and then ##cos(\omega + pi/2) = -sinx## ? but I think I got a negative answer for that second eq. to calculate A. and at part C you don't see any - sign ??

isn't it ##cos(-(pi/2 - x)) = sinx?## where we write a positive ##\phi## as ##cos(x - \pi/2)##
I mean.. if I get ##phi = pi/2## which is to the right in a sinosoidal func. don't I get ##cos(\omega - pi/2)## which is equal to## sin \omega##

But.. the position is written as ##x = Acos(\omega t + \phi)## with a ##+## instead of a ##-##

Last edited:
Yes you right you get negative A but the minus sign is neutralized by the other minus sign of ##\cos(\omega t+\frac{\pi}{2})=-\sin\omega t##

F me swinging... I confused myself, let me clarify.

So in the position eq. it's ##x = Acos(\omega t + \phi)##
whic means that if ##\phi == \pi/2## the cosine becomes ##cos(\omega t + pi/2) = -sin(\omega t)##
OR... my take on it which is why i don't understand why it says ##+ \phi## and not ##- \phi## in the positioni equation
because it is a phase shift to the right doesn't it become ##cos(\omega t - \pi/2)## ?

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
Yes you right you get negative A but the minus sign is neutralized by the other minus sign of ##\cos(\omega t+\frac{\pi}{2})=-\sin\omega t##
yes but not in the position equation in part C? in post #15

link223 said:
F me swinging... I confused myself, let me clarify.

So in the position eq. it's ##x = Acos(\omega t + \phi)##
whic means that if ##\phi == \pi/2## the cosine becomes ##cos(\omega t + pi/2) = -sin(\omega t)##
OR... my take on it which is why i don't understand why it says ##+ \phi## and not ##- \phi## in the positioni equation
because it is a phase shift to the right doesn't it become ##cos(\omega t - \pi/2)## ?
but then I guess I refer to it as being of such a form ##f(x) = Acos(bx - c)## which it is not.

Sorry I have lost you, the equation of position is $$x=Ae^{-0.396t}\cos(7t+\frac{\pi}{2})$$ in which if you replace ##A=-0.271## and ##\cos(7t+\frac{\pi}{2})=-\sin7t## you get option C of post #15.

Likes link223
link223 said:
also .. I actually forgot to ask..
I get ϕ=π2 and then cos(ω+pi/2)=−sinx ? but I think I got a negative answer for that second eq. to calculate A. and at part C you don't see any - sign ??
You can pick either pi/2 or 3pi/2. It does not matter for the end result. All that will occur is that you reshuffle a minus sign into the constant A. All that matters for the solution is the product of A and the sine.

Likes link223 and Delta2
Delta2 said:
Sorry I have lost you, the equation of position is $$x=Ae^{-0.396t}\cos(7t+\frac{\pi}{2})$$ in which if you replace ##A=-0.271## and ##\cos(7t+\frac{\pi}{2})=-\sin7t## you get option C of post #15.
owh right! my bad... okay yeah I forgot about the sign for A of courseee... thanks a lot.

Orodruin said:
You can pick either pi/2 or 3pi/2. It does not matter for the end result. All that will occur is that you reshuffle a minus sign into the constant A. All that matters for the solution is the product of A and the sine.
yep thanks a lot. I simply forgot the A sign, a lot of sign forgetting today it seems like ... I guess those days happen as well..

Likes Delta2

1. What is the equation for an oscillating spring with damping?

The equation for an oscillating spring with damping is F = -kx - bv, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and b is the damping coefficient.

2. How is the spring constant related to the oscillation frequency?

The spring constant is directly proportional to the oscillation frequency. This means that as the spring constant increases, the oscillation frequency also increases. This relationship is described by the equation f = 1/(2π) * √(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass attached to the spring.

3. What is damping in the context of an oscillating spring?

Damping is a phenomenon that occurs when an external force, such as friction or air resistance, acts upon a system in motion. In the context of an oscillating spring, damping refers to the force that opposes the motion of the spring and causes it to eventually come to rest.

4. How does damping affect the oscillation of a spring?

Damping affects the oscillation of a spring by reducing the amplitude of the oscillations and causing them to eventually come to a stop. This is because the damping force acts in the opposite direction of the spring's motion, gradually slowing it down. The amount of damping also determines the rate at which the oscillations decrease in amplitude.

5. Can the equation for an oscillating spring with damping be used for any type of spring?

Yes, the equation F = -kx - bv can be used for any type of spring, as long as the motion of the spring is simple harmonic motion. This means that the force applied to the spring is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. However, the values of k and b may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the spring, such as its length, material, and shape.