Finding limits without epsilon and delta

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the limit of 1/n as n approaches infinity is 0, using a given definition and without the use of epsilon delta. The participants also discuss the concept of bounding and monotonicity, as well as determining the value of N in the proof. Another problem is discussed, showing the limit point of a given set, and a solution is provided.
kingstrick

Homework Statement

I need to prove that 1/n has a limit of zero using the following definition:

The statement that the point sequence p1, p2, . . . converges to the point x means that if S is an open interval containing x then there is a positive integer N such that if n is a positive integer and n ≥ N then pn ∈ S.

and

The statement that the sequence p1, p2, p3, . . . converges means that there is a point x such that p1, p2, p3, . . . converges to x.

Homework Equations

the instructor was adamant that we are not to use epsilon delta in these proofs for our text does not use such notions. But I am at a lost as to how we prove it without them. Do I just substitute a different variable in the epsilon and delta places? Any advice on how to get started would be appreciated.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my second attempt in a real analysis class :( It is amazing how different the material is from course to course even for the same course.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know but we haven't 'learned' bounding or monotonic yet. All we have is this definition to go by.

kingstrick said:
I know but we haven't 'learned' bounding or monotonic yet. All we have is this definition to go by.

Then you must find something in the definition that will help you. You could also try rereading your book to see if there is something in the discussion or even in the problem sets that might give you a clue.

To prove that 1/n converges to 0, show that if U is some open interval containing 0 then there exist N such that if n> N then 1/n is in U.

Since U is an open interval containing 0, there exist some number, d, such that the interval (-d, d) is a subset of U. Now show that, for sufficiently large N, if n> N then 1/n is in (-d, d). (Since n> 0, that is equivlent to 1/n< d. How large must n be?)

Likes 1 person
n>d ?

kingstrick said:
n>d ?

Well, suppose d = 0.0001. How large must n be to have 1/n < 0.0001? You claim n > 0.0001 will do. Do you really think that?

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
Well, suppose d = 0.0001. How large must n be to have 1/n < 0.0001? You claim n > 0.0001 will do. Do you really think that?

I see what you mean.

in your case n would have to be >10000

so then... n > 1/d

HallsofIvy said:
To prove that 1/n converges to 0, show that if U is some open interval containing 0 then there exist N such that if n> N then 1/n is in U.

Since U is an open interval containing 0, there exist some number, d, such that the interval (-d, d) is a subset of U. Now show that, for sufficiently large N, if n> N then 1/n is in (-d, d). (Since n> 0, that is equivlent to 1/n< d. How large must n be?)

What always stumbles me here though, is what exactly is N? Is it like the Nth term in my sequence? Or is it any random value N, there is a nth term (referring to little n) to the right?

So here is my solution to a similar problem, is my solution/approach correct?

Prove that M = {1, 1+1/2, 1+1/4, 1 + 1/6, ...} has a limit point of 1.

Let M = {1, 1+1/2, 1+1/4, 1 + 1/6, ...} and U be some open interval containing 1. Since U is an open interval (a,b) where a<1<b, there exists some d [itex]\neq [/itex]1 in (1,b) such that a [itex]\leq[/itex] (a+d)/2 <1 < (b+d)/2 [itex]\leq[/itex] b. Observe that M is [itex]\geq [/itex] 1and ((a+d)/2, (b+d)/2) is an open interval and a subset of U. Let n be a natural number and n>N where N [itex]\in[/itex] R and 1+1/n < d. Then 1/n < d-1 < d. Then n> 1/d.

Therefore 1 is a limit point.

1. What is the concept of finding limits without epsilon and delta?

The concept of finding limits without epsilon and delta is a method used in calculus to determine the limit of a function without using the traditional epsilon-delta definition. This method involves using algebraic manipulation and simplification to find the limit.

2. How is this method different from using the epsilon-delta definition?

The traditional epsilon-delta definition involves using a specific value of epsilon to find a corresponding value of delta, and then using that delta to prove the limit. However, the method of finding limits without epsilon and delta does not require a specific value of epsilon or delta, and instead uses algebraic techniques to determine the limit.

3. Is finding limits without epsilon and delta always accurate?

No, finding limits without epsilon and delta can sometimes lead to incorrect results. This method relies heavily on algebraic manipulation, and if the function is too complex, it may not accurately determine the limit.

4. Can this method be used for all types of functions?

No, this method is most commonly used for simpler functions such as polynomials, rational functions, and exponential functions. It may not work for more complex functions such as trigonometric functions or piecewise functions.

5. Are there any advantages to using this method over the epsilon-delta definition?

Yes, finding limits without epsilon and delta can be a quicker and more efficient method for determining limits, especially for simpler functions. It also does not require the use of a specific value for epsilon, making it more flexible in certain situations.