Compact Metric Spaces: Subcover of Balls with Limited Number

In summary, the question is asking if every compact metric space has a finite upper bound for the number of balls needed to form a subcover with a radius of one. The author is unsure of whether this statement is true or false, but suggests considering a closed disk of radius 2 as a possible counterexample.
Mathmos6

Homework Statement

Is the following statement true: for every compact metric space X there is a constant N S.T. every subcover of X by balls of radius one has a subcover with at most N balls?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you're meant to post your working but I really can't get started on this one! I can't even work out which way I should be proving, I have no clue whether this is true or false :( I have a feeling it's true but that's really got no actual mathematical basis sadly. I know the definitions of compactness - each open cover must have a finite subcover - and of balls, metric space etc, but I'm not sure how to apply it or how to approach the problem. Could someone please please get me started? Many many thanks,

Mathmos6

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe your feeling it's true is holding you back from trying to construct a counterexample. Think about a closed disk of radius 2. What you want to do is construct a series of open covers with the number of open sets needed to cover going to infinity.

Last edited:

1. What is a compact metric space?

A compact metric space is a mathematical concept that describes a complete metric space with the additional property that every open cover has a finite subcover. In simpler terms, it is a space in which every sequence has a convergent subsequence.

2. How is compactness defined in a metric space?

A metric space is compact if every sequence in it has a convergent subsequence. This means that for every sequence of points in the space, there exists a point in the space that the sequence converges to.

3. What is the importance of compact metric spaces in mathematics?

Compact metric spaces are important in mathematics because they allow for the study and analysis of continuous functions on a restricted domain. They also play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, including topology, analysis, and geometry.

4. How are compact metric spaces related to the Heine-Borel theorem?

The Heine-Borel theorem states that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This theorem can also be extended to compact metric spaces, where a subset is compact if and only if it is complete and totally bounded.

5. Can every metric space be compact?

No, not every metric space can be compact. In fact, there are many metric spaces that are not compact, including infinite-dimensional spaces and spaces with unbounded subsets. However, compactness is a desirable property in many mathematical contexts and can be achieved by adding additional conditions to the metric space.