What is the pressure of gas inside an inertial fusion pellet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the viability of inertial fusion as an energy source and the challenges of calculating the pressure of gas inside a pellet used in the process. The link provided by Candyman offers information about the burnup rate and mass of the pellets, as well as their energy gain and consumption.
theCandyman
I asked one of the professors in the nuclear engineering department recently how inertial fusion could be a viable energy source if so little matter was fused. He told me that I would be suprised and said that I should do the calculation myself. I found the volume of the pellet, but now I have the problem of finding the pressure of the gas inside it. Does anyone know what it is?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you know the mass of the gas inside, you can use the standard gas law as a good approximation. If you don't know the mass, there is no solution.

theCandyman said:
I asked one of the professors in the nuclear engineering department recently how inertial fusion could be a viable energy source if so little matter was fused. He told me that I would be suprised and said that I should do the calculation myself. I found the volume of the pellet, but now I have the problem of finding the pressure of the gas inside it. Does anyone know what it is?
Candyman,
Courtesy of the University of California - Berkeley:
http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/thyd/ne161/kwilson/icf.html
" Each pellet has about a 45% burnup rate, is cyrogenic and multilayered,
and has a mass of 1 mg."
or
"Each pellet has a gain of 150, and the target requires 1 MJ of energy for
explosion. The fuel is burned at a rate of 20 pellets per second."
Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Last edited by a moderator:
Candyman,
Courtesy of the University of California - Berkeley:

http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/thyd/ne161/kwilson/icf.html

" Each pellet has about a 45% burnup rate, is cyrogenic and multilayered,
and has a mass of 1 mg."

or

"Each pellet has a gain of 150, and the target requires 1 MJ of energy for
explosion. The fuel is burned at a rate of 20 pellets per second."

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an inertial fusion pellet?

An inertial fusion pellet is a small, solid sphere made of deuterium and tritium, two isotopes of hydrogen. It is designed to be compressed and heated through the use of high-powered lasers, causing a fusion reaction that releases a large amount of energy.

How are inertial fusion pellets created?

Inertial fusion pellets are created through a process called "target fabrication." This involves depositing a thin layer of deuterium and tritium onto a small plastic or metal sphere, which is then frozen to form a solid pellet.

What is the purpose of inertial fusion pellets?

The main purpose of inertial fusion pellets is to provide a controlled and efficient way of producing fusion energy. The energy released from the fusion reaction can potentially be harnessed to generate electricity, with minimal environmental impact and no greenhouse gas emissions.

What challenges are associated with using inertial fusion pellets?

One of the main challenges of using inertial fusion pellets is achieving the necessary compression and heating to initiate a fusion reaction. This requires precise timing and alignment of the high-powered lasers, and any imperfections or instabilities can disrupt the fusion process.

What potential applications do inertial fusion pellets have?

Aside from producing fusion energy, inertial fusion pellets also have potential applications in various scientific experiments and research. They can be used to study extreme conditions of temperature and pressure, and to simulate nuclear reactions that occur in stars and other astrophysical phenomena.