Sound waves inside an inert gas fusion reactor

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of sound waves in plasma and fusion processes. The speaker saw a toy that levitated a ball of water using sound waves and considered applying this concept to plasma and fusion using an inert gas reactor or a fusor. They also mention the idea of using sound waves in an active confinement scheme and compare the pressure needed for plasma confinement to the forces of sound levels of various intensities. The conversation also references sonoluminescence and its use of high energy ultrasound in liquids.
Andrewtv848
TL;DR Summary
Using sound waves to confine a plasma.
Hey, its that under educated guy again, I hope the mighty big brains can spare me my feelings. Anyways, I saw this toy that levitated a ball of water using nothing but sound waves. So naturally I tried to apply this to a plasma and fusion. Using a inert gas reactor, or a fusor for that matter or magnetic inertial confinement fusion. I was thinking the sound waves could be used in a active confinement scheme.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Andrewtv848 said:
I was thinking the sound waves could be used in a active confinement scheme
Using "sound waves" in a gas in contact with the plasma will conduct/convect away energy, cooling the plasma. That's why existing confinement fusion schemes have the plasma confined in a vacuum vessel of some kind.

Likes Astronuc

1. How do sound waves play a role in an inert gas fusion reactor?

In an inert gas fusion reactor, sound waves are used to control and manipulate the plasma within the reactor. These waves are created by powerful speakers and are able to move the plasma in specific directions, allowing for more efficient fusion reactions.

2. What type of sound waves are used in an inert gas fusion reactor?

The sound waves used in an inert gas fusion reactor are typically low-frequency sound waves, also known as acoustic waves. These waves are able to penetrate and interact with the plasma, making them ideal for controlling its movement.

3. How are sound waves able to manipulate the plasma in an inert gas fusion reactor?

When sound waves are directed at the plasma, they create pressure variations that cause the plasma to vibrate and move in a specific direction. This allows for precise control over the shape and location of the plasma, which is crucial for achieving successful fusion reactions.

4. Are there any risks associated with using sound waves in an inert gas fusion reactor?

While sound waves themselves are not harmful, the intense heat and radiation produced by the plasma in a fusion reactor can be dangerous. However, proper safety measures and shielding are put in place to protect scientists and equipment from these risks.

5. Can sound waves be used in other types of fusion reactors?

Yes, sound waves have been studied and used in other types of fusion reactors, such as magnetic confinement reactors. However, their effectiveness may vary depending on the specific design and goals of the reactor.