Is InstallShield the solution for creating a self-contained program?

• Thread starter sweetjones
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks!In summary, InnoSetup is a great tool for creating installers for programs that don't use microsoft's .msi installer. It is easy to use and has a section describing how to handle system dlls cleanly.
sweetjones
I have exe that needs some .DLL files to run on other cpu's that don't have Visual Studio on them. The only way to run my program is to put the .DLL files in the Windows/system32 path. Is there a way of including the information that's in the .DLL files in my code so that everything can compile together? Or is there a way of creating an All-In-One Installer that I can write specifically where to put these files? My main goal is to put my program on a file hosting site where all u have to do is go to the URL and run the program. Thanx In Advance!

Technology news on Phys.org
You can put the dll in the same folder as your app.
If you are using microsoft's .msi installer you just add the redistribution .msm file to the build.
I would recommend the free InnoSetup (www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php) installer, it is much easier to use than the microsoft .msi one and has a section describing how to handle system dlls cleanly.

mgb_phys said:
You can put the dll in the same folder as your app.
If you are using microsoft's .msi installer you just add the redistribution .msm file to the build.
I would recommend the free InnoSetup (www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php) installer, it is much easier to use than the microsoft .msi one and has a section describing how to handle system dlls cleanly.
That sounds good to me. I'll check it out. I also was thinking about Batch Files. Would that be a good solution? Zip up the .exe, the .DLL files, and and make a Batch file that sends these file to the correct path. What about that scenario?

P.S. -Which one of the programs I need to use on that Inno Setup website?

Last edited:
The installer is isetup-5.2.1.exe ( or whatever version ) in the download section.

You write a script in a text file which contains the list of files you want to send and where to put them. Run innosetup on the text file and it builds a "setup.exe" which contains all the files. You send it to your customer, they run the setup.exe and it puts the files in the correct directory, there is no need for batch files.

mgb_phys said:
The installer is isetup-5.2.1.exe ( or whatever version ) in the download section.

You write a script in a text file which contains the list of files you want to send and where to put them. Run innosetup on the text file and it builds a "setup.exe" which contains all the files. You send it to your customer, they run the setup.exe and it puts the files in the correct directory, there is no need for batch files.

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll give it a shot.

Man, that was easy. I love that program. It works really well. Now all I have to do is figure out how to change the shortcut icon with a Batch File. Thanks Again for your help!

InstallShield makes software just for this purpose. You specify what files to include in the setup package, change icons, etc...I have an older copy that I use for most of my programs. It works well for me...

1. What does it mean for something to be "user-friendly"?

In the context of technology and design, something that is "user-friendly" is easy to use and understand for the average user. This can include features like intuitive navigation, clear instructions, and a visually appealing interface.

2. Why is it important to make things user-friendly?

Making things user-friendly is important because it ensures that the technology or product can be easily used and understood by a wide range of people. This can increase user satisfaction, reduce frustration, and ultimately lead to a better user experience.

3. How can you make something more user-friendly?

There are several ways to make something more user-friendly, including conducting user research to understand the needs and preferences of your target audience, conducting usability testing to identify any potential issues, and implementing user-centered design principles such as simplicity, consistency, and feedback.

4. What are some common features of a user-friendly design?

Some common features of a user-friendly design include clear and concise instructions, intuitive navigation, minimal steps to complete a task, informative error messages, and a visually appealing interface. It should also take into consideration the needs and abilities of the target audience.

5. How can a user-friendly design benefit a product or service?

A user-friendly design can benefit a product or service in several ways. It can improve user satisfaction and loyalty, increase productivity and efficiency, reduce training and support costs, and differentiate the product or service from competitors. It can also lead to positive word-of-mouth and customer recommendations.