Building a Strong Popsicle Stick Bridge: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter DefyPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
In summary, the speaker is seeking tips, suggestions, and thoughts for building a popsicle stick bridge for a Physics class. The requirements are a minimum width of 8cm, length of 55cm, maximum thickness of 4cm, and ability to hold at least 100 pounds on a flat surface. Only popsicle sticks and glue are allowed as materials. The speaker is considering a Truss design but is struggling with the thickness restriction. They are wondering if adding vertical beams between each Truss could increase the weight the bridge can hold.
DefyPhysics
Hi, I've got to build a popsicle stick bridge for my Physics class. I have an idea of what I'm going to do, I just need tips, suggestions and thoughts.

Requirements/restrictions:
  1. Width: Minimum 8cm
  2. Length: Minimum 55cm
  3. Thickness: Max 4cm
  4. Should be able to hold a minimum of 100 pounds
  5. Surface must be flat
  6. Only materials allowed are popsicle sticks and glue, though any type of popsicle stick or glue is allowed

I already know that a Truss design is the best way to go. However, my biggest problem is the thickness. The maximum allowed is 4cm, which makes it very difficult to build Trusses using popsicle sticks.

Anyone have building tips or ways to increase the amount of weight the bridge can hold?

This is what I think the final product will look like (side view):

====================
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
====================

Would adding vertical beams in between each Truss help increase the amount of weight the bridge can support?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
DefyPhysics said:
The maximum allowed is 4cm, which makes it very difficult to build Trusses using popsicle sticks.
but not impossible, since one stick can be glued anywhere along the length of another.

What is a Popsicle Stick Bridge?

A Popsicle Stick Bridge is a bridge made out of Popsicle sticks, usually for a school project or engineering competition. It is a popular way for students to learn about engineering principles and structural design.

How do you build a Popsicle Stick Bridge?

The first step is to come up with a design and plan for your bridge. Then, gather Popsicle sticks and glue. Use the sticks to create the structure of your bridge, making sure to use triangles for added stability. Allow the glue to dry completely before testing the strength of your bridge.

What are the benefits of building a Popsicle Stick Bridge?

Building a Popsicle Stick Bridge allows students to learn about engineering concepts such as load-bearing, structural design, and stability. It also promotes creativity and problem-solving skills.

How much weight can a Popsicle Stick Bridge hold?

The weight a Popsicle Stick Bridge can hold depends on the design, materials used, and construction techniques. Typically, a well-built Popsicle Stick Bridge can hold several pounds of weight.

How can I make my Popsicle Stick Bridge stronger?

To make your Popsicle Stick Bridge stronger, you can use more sticks and add additional support structures such as trusses and bracing. You can also experiment with different gluing techniques and materials, such as using toothpicks or popsicle sticks as dowels.