Helicopter Lift Force Calculation

In summary, the lift force exerted by the air on the rotors is equal to the sum of the tension on the cable and the force required to accelerate the helicopter upward. This can be calculated by adding the gravitational force to the net force acting on the car, which is equal to the mass of the car multiplied by the total acceleration.
strugglin-physics
:grumpy: A 7850 kg helicopter accelerates upward at 0.545 m/s^2 while lifting a 1250 kg car. What is the lift force exerted by the air on the rotors?

What is the tension in the cable ignoring its mass that connects the car to the helicopter?

Net Force = ma, so I did (7850)(0.545) + (1250)(0.545) = 4959.5 N but that answer is incorrect and I know if I don't have the right answer for the first one I will not be able to solve the second one.

Would appreciate someone's assistance, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you left out gravity!

Maybe you are correct... hmm... but where would I include it in this formula... Net Force = ma?

The total acceleration will be the acceleration due to gravity plus the acceleration produced by the helicopter.

so you're say that my a should equal .545 + -9.8 giving me an answer of -84221?

Let me state that a little more clearly. The net force acting on the car is the sum of the gravitational force and the force due to the helicpopter:
[tex]\vec F = \vec F_g + \vec F_h = m \vec a[/tex]
so the force excerted by the helicopter is
[tex]\vec F_h = m \vec a - \vec F_g[/tex]
Now gravity pulls downward (i.e. it's negative) so the net force in the vertical direction is F = ma - (-mg) = m(a+g) which is also the tension on the cable.

I'm feeling rather dumb as I still don't know what the lift force exerted by the air on the rotors is, but I do appreciate your attempt to help me understand. Maybe the solution will come to me...

Thanks again.

The lift force exerted on the air will be equal to the tension on the cable plus the force required to accelerate the helicopter upward!

Duh... now that seems pretty obvious! Thank you.

1. What is helicopter force?

Helicopter force refers to the physical forces that act on a helicopter, including lift, weight, thrust, and drag. These forces work together to allow a helicopter to fly and maneuver in the air.

2. How does lift work in a helicopter?

Lift is created by the rotation of the helicopter's main rotor blades, which creates a difference in air pressure above and below the blades. This difference in pressure creates an upward force that allows the helicopter to stay airborne.

3. What is the main source of thrust in a helicopter?

The main source of thrust in a helicopter is the engine and the rotation of the main rotor blades. The engine powers the rotation of the blades, which generates the necessary lift and thrust to keep the helicopter in the air.

4. How does weight affect a helicopter's flight?

Weight is a crucial factor in helicopter flight as it determines the amount of lift needed to keep the helicopter in the air. The heavier the helicopter, the more lift and power are required from the engine to maintain flight.

5. What role does drag play in helicopter flight?

Drag is the resistance force that acts against the direction of motion of a helicopter. It is caused by the friction of the air on the helicopter's surfaces and can affect the speed and maneuverability of the helicopter. Helicopters are designed to minimize drag for efficient flight.