F = ma for a lift (elevator) carrying passengers

In summary, when applying the equation of motion, the 'body' can be defined as all objects that are moving together as a system. This simplifies calculations and is justified by the fact that internal forces cancel out. There is no general rule for determining the body, it depends on the given information and the question being asked. Including more than one object in the body should be considered when the question involves forces between those objects.
hendrix7
Summary:: What constitutes the 'body' when applying equation of motion?

I was solving this problem:
'A woman of mass 60 kg is in a lift of mass 250 kg which is accelerating downwards at 3.2 m-2. Find the tension in the cable of the lift.'
when I realized that I'm not sure what constitutes the 'body' when applying F = ma and, in particular, what should be included in mass (m)? For example, I can't resolve the forces on the lift (F in the equation) without including the mass of the woman (m) in the equation. As far as I can see, I have to treat both the lift and the woman as one body but what is the general rule for this? How will I know when I have to include more than one object in the 'body' when using the equation of motion?

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are looking for the tension, the body or system must be something that is connected to the cable. Since you want to use Newton’s second law, the system must be something whose mass is given. Since the woman and the lift accelerate as one, you must include them both otherwise you would have to worry about the normal force exerted by the woman’s feet on the lift. If you were also asked to find the normal force, then you would have to draw two diagrams. Do you see how one sorts it out? Your choice was correct.

Likes hendrix7
hendrix7 said:
As far as I can see, I have to treat both the lift and the woman as one body but what is the general rule for this?
You could solve this by treating the lift and the woman separately. However, it is more difficult than the approach that you have already selected. Let me walk you through...

One starts with a free body diagram for each free body in the problem: The elevator and the woman. This is a mental aid to help you identify the external forces that act on each.

Select a coordinate axis (up for positive, down for negative).

Consider the woman. Subject to a downward force, ##F_{gw}## from gravity on the woman, ##F_{gw} = -mg##. Also subject to an upward force from the lift floor, ##F_{lw}##. The value of this second force is unknown. However, we also know that both woman and elevator are accelerating downward at a rate ##a##. This acceleration is given as -3.2 m/sec2. [You quoted the wrong units in the problem statement]

From this information, you can apply Newton's second law for the woman and compute ##F_{lw}##

Now that you know ##F_{lw}##, by Newton's third law you also know ##F_{wl}##.

Now repeat the analysis for the elevator alone. You have three external forces this time. One from gravity, one from the woman's feet on the lift floor and one from tension. You want to determine the one from tension. But you know the other two and the resulting acceleration. So you apply Newton's second law and solve for ##F_T##. At no point does this approach require you to to add up the masses of the lift and of the woman.

[You do end up adding the gravitational forces on each, so your mathematical legerdemain has not saved any work].

Likes hendrix7
hendrix7 said:
Summary:: What constitutes the 'body' when applying equation of motion?

As far as I can see, I have to treat both the lift and the woman as one body but what is the general rule for this? How will I know when I have to include more than one object in the 'body' when using the equation of motion?
It's a good question. Consider also that the cable may be connected to a part of the lift (a bracket, perhaps) with a mass of ##25kg##. Do we consider only that ##25kg## and not all of the lift?

The answer is that we can consider everything that is moving together as the mass of the system that the cable supports. The justification is that internal forces must cancel (Newton's third law). We could make it a multi-body problem, but as internal forces cancel, we must get the same answer as considering the bracket, the main body of the lift and the woman as a single massive object.

If the woman is jumping up and down in the lift, or otherwise moving relative to the lift, then we would have to consider the forces on the lift and woman separately in the free-body diagram.

Likes hendrix7
hendrix7 said:
As far as I can see, I have to treat both the lift and the woman as one body
You don't have to, but you can in this case and it simplifies the computation.
hendrix7 said:
but what is the general rule for this?
There is none. You have to decide how you define the bodies based on the information given and question asked. Just like with choosing the reference frame for analysis, you might have multiple possible choices. But some might result in simpler math.
hendrix7 said:
How will I know when I have to include more than one object in the 'body' when using the equation of motion?
Imagine for example the question also asks about the force between the lift floor and the woman's feet.

Likes Dale and hendrix7
jbriggs444 said:
You could solve this by treating the lift and the woman separately. However, it is more difficult than the approach that you have already selected. Let me walk you through...

One starts with a free body diagram for each free body in the problem: The elevator and the woman. This is a mental aid to help you identify the external forces that act on each.

Select a coordinate axis (up for positive, down for negative).

Consider the woman. Subject to a downward force, ##F_{gw}## from gravity on the woman, ##F_{gw} = -mg##. Also subject to an upward force from the lift floor, ##F_{lw}##. The value of this second force is unknown. However, we also know that both woman and elevator are accelerating downward at a rate ##a##. This acceleration is given as -3.2 m/sec2. [You quoted the wrong units in the problem statement]

From this information, you can apply Newton's second law for the woman and compute ##F_{lw}##

Now that you know ##F_{lw}##, by Newton's third law you also know ##F_{wl}##.

Now repeat the analysis for the elevator alone. You have three external forces this time. One from gravity, one from the woman's feet on the lift floor and one from tension. You want to determine the one from tension. But you know the other two and the resulting acceleration. So you apply Newton's second law and solve for ##F_T##. At no point does this approach require you to to add up the masses of the lift and of the woman.

[You do end up adding the gravitational forces on each, so your mathematical legerdemain has not saved any work].
Thank you so much. I understand now and can now solve as either the lift and woman together or the lift alone (after calculating normal reaction of lift on woman). Much appreciated.

1. What is the significance of F = ma in a lift carrying passengers?

F = ma, also known as Newton's Second Law of Motion, is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. In the context of a lift carrying passengers, it helps us understand the forces at play and how they affect the movement of the lift.

2. How does F = ma apply to a lift carrying passengers?

In the case of a lift carrying passengers, the force (F) is the weight of the lift and its occupants, the mass (m) is the combined mass of the lift and passengers, and the acceleration (a) is the rate at which the lift changes its speed. This equation tells us that the force of the lift must be equal to the mass of the lift and passengers multiplied by the acceleration of the lift.

3. What factors can affect the value of F = ma in a lift carrying passengers?

The value of F = ma in a lift carrying passengers can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the lift and passengers, the direction and magnitude of the lift's acceleration, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How does F = ma impact the safety of a lift carrying passengers?

F = ma is an important equation to consider when designing and operating lifts to ensure the safety of passengers. If the lift is accelerating too quickly, the force exerted on passengers will be greater, potentially causing discomfort or injury. It is important to carefully control the acceleration of lifts to maintain a safe and comfortable experience for passengers.

5. Can F = ma be used to calculate the speed of a lift carrying passengers?

No, F = ma alone cannot be used to calculate the speed of a lift carrying passengers. This equation only describes the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, but does not take into account other factors such as the initial speed of the lift, the distance it travels, and any external forces. To calculate the speed of a lift, additional equations and measurements are needed.