Closure relations of a language

In summary, the concept of closure refers to a language being closed over a relation, which means that applying that relation to any of its elements will result in an element that is also in the language. In the example problem provided, the relations used to create the closure of language L are union, concatenation, and Kleene Star. This line of reasoning is correct.
JimmyK
Hi, I'm having a little trouble understand the idea of closure as so many places seem to describe it differently.

I'm working on an example problem that states "L* is the closure of language L under which relations?"

From what I gather, for a language to be closed over a relation, it means that applying that relation to any of its elements results in an element that is also in the language. Is this a correct understanding of the term?

Applying this knowledge to that question, I would think the answers are:
Union: L U L is in L*
Concatenation: LL is in L*
Kleene Star: L* is in L*

Is this line of reasoning correct, or am I totally missing the mark? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your understanding of closure is correct. And your reasoning is also correct. Yes, union, concatenation and Kleene Star will be the relations that will be used to create the closure of language L.

What are closure relations of a language?

Closure relations of a language refer to the relationships between a set of strings in a language and the operations that can be performed on that set to produce new strings in the same language. These relations help determine the properties and structure of a language.

What is the purpose of studying closure relations?

The study of closure relations allows linguists and computer scientists to better understand the structure and properties of a language. It also helps in the development of formal language models and algorithms for tasks such as parsing and language recognition.

What are some examples of closure relations?

Some examples of closure relations include concatenation, union, intersection, and Kleene star. These operations can be applied to a set of strings in a language to produce new strings that also belong to the same language.

How do closure relations relate to regular expressions?

Closure relations play a crucial role in the definition and implementation of regular expressions. The closure properties of regular languages, such as closure under concatenation and closure under Kleene star, allow for the construction of regular expressions to represent these languages.

Are closure relations unique to a specific type of language?

No, closure relations are not unique to a specific type of language. They can be applied to any formal language, including regular, context-free, and context-sensitive languages. However, the specific closure properties may vary between different types of languages.