Thawing Frozen Meat: The Fur vs. Water Method

In summary, the conversation discusses the most effective way to defrost frozen meat. While some suggest wrapping the meat in fur or using a microwave, the general consensus is that running cold water over the meat is the most efficient method due to the thermal conductivity of frozen meat. Some individuals believe that the use of fur may insulate the meat and speed up the thawing process, but this is not supported by scientific evidence. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of understanding the science behind thawing frozen meat.
just...DVL
The fact is, that if you get frozen meat and you have to de-freeze it, you will de-freeze it faster, if you pack it into the fur, than if you get it under flowinf water with temperature 10°C = 52F.. WHY?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fur? Huh? I only eat de-furred meat. :confused:

That's fine as long as you don't get a stubble burn.

russ_watters said:
Fur? Huh? I only eat de-furred meat. :confused:

Do you understand my question?

If it is a classical oven, it does not make much difference from water, but it depends on the temperature of the four and of the water. But to de-freeze the interior of the meat heat must pass form the exterior to the interior and it depends on the thermal conductivity of the frozen and not frozen meat. If you try to go faster you will cook the outside before the inside is de-frozen. You could call it "reverse meat profiteroles".
Microwave oven do better because they heat the inside of the frozen meat. But, as they heat better water than ice, you always risk the "reverse meat profiteroles".

Last edited:
Hmm. You have some frozen meat in a fridge, you take it out and want to de-freeze it, so you pack it to the really fur (for example from the bear).
I just thought, if the melting point of the meat isn't a bit higher than MP of water, maybe higher than 10°C (52F). Than you can't never de-freeze meat with so cold water, and problem is solved.

just...DVL said:
Do you understand my question?
Clearly, no. Your english isn't very good. Are you saying literally that you wrap the meat in an animal's fur? I've never heard of such a thing, but the meat would certainly not thaw faster that way than if it is run under cold water.

Meat is mostly water, but it has things dissolved in it (such as salt), which lowers the melting point. Running it under cold water provides a relatively fast transfer of energy and thawing time could be cut to perhaps a tenth of what it is if you just leave the meat sitting out.

Last edited:
lpfr said:
If it is a classical four...
Could you explain to me what this "four" is?

Yes, you have classic meat from the shop and you pack it into the animal skin... Maybe i should make some experiment...

Sorry, OVEN

Ok, I've never heard of that...

Perhaps you should experiment, though, because it most certainly will not thaw faster insulated than uninsulated, much less with water running over it to pull heat away even faster! I don't see why you would think it would thaw faster when insulated. What is your reasoning?

I red somewhere, that this is true. Maybe its faster in the fur, if the meat is very small, so mabye it is just a gimmick

Maybe someone thought that if a fur keeps us warm, it will also keep frozen meat warm! Soooooo obviously wrong!

1. How does the fur method work for thawing frozen meat?

The fur method involves using a layer of fur, such as a towel or blanket, to insulate the frozen meat. This traps body heat and helps to slowly thaw the meat. It is important to use a clean and dry fur to prevent any bacteria from contaminating the meat.

2. Is the fur method safe for thawing all types of meat?

The fur method is safe for thawing most types of meat, including beef, poultry, and fish. However, it is not recommended for delicate meats such as seafood or ground meats, as they may not thaw evenly and can become a breeding ground for bacteria.

3. How long does it take for meat to thaw using the fur method?

The time it takes for meat to thaw using the fur method can vary depending on the size and type of meat. In general, it can take 1-2 hours per pound for larger cuts of meat, and 30 minutes to an hour for smaller cuts. It is important to check the meat periodically to ensure it is thawing evenly.

4. Can I use the fur method if I am in a hurry?

The fur method is not recommended if you are in a hurry, as it is a slower method compared to others. If you need to quickly thaw meat, it is best to use the water method or the microwave method. However, if you have some time to spare, the fur method can provide a more gentle and even thawing process.

5. Are there any food safety concerns when using the fur method for thawing meat?

As long as proper food safety measures are followed, there should be no major concerns when using the fur method for thawing meat. It is important to use clean and dry fur, check the meat periodically, and cook it immediately after thawing. If the meat has been left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours, it should be discarded to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.