Calculating a Line Integral with Triangle C

In summary, the mathematician attempted to find a way to integrate the line y^2dx+x^2dy where line C is the triangle with sides x=1, y=0 and y=x but was unsure if the first way he showed was correct. He found the line integral using Greens theorem and is 99% sure it is correct.
kliker

Homework Statement

hello again, sorry for asking so many questions, i just want to make sure if I am correct or not

calculate the line integral y^2dx+x^2dy where line C is the triangle with sides x=1, y=0 and y=x

The Attempt at a Solution

first of all i tried to find a customization of the line

we know that x = 1 hence it will be like this

r(t) = (1,t) but I am not sure if it's correct

then i said that the integral would be this

[URL]http://www2.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP470019b34815c34hai2900000d7egii1beg78b2i?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=9&w=88&h=37[/URL]

could I just use Green's theorem?

I mean using Greens theorem I get the same result

[URL]http://www2.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP167119b34a9g72bg50ia000021ai53gc37dac65a?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=3&w=186&h=37[/URL]

im 99% sure that greens theorem is correct, i mean the way i implemented it, but is the first way i showed also correct?

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kliker said:

Homework Statement

hello again, sorry for asking so many questions, i just want to make sure if I am correct or not

calculate the line integral y^2dx+x^2dy where line C is the triangle with sides x=1, y=0 and y=x

The Attempt at a Solution

first of all i tried to find a customization of the line

we know that x = 1 hence it will be like this

r(t) = (1,t) but I am not sure if it's correct

then i said that the integral would be this

[URL]http://www2.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP470019b34815c34hai2900000d7egii1beg78b2i?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=9&w=88&h=37
[/URL]
"we know that x=1"? Did you leave out much of the problem? We know that x= 1, y= any number from 0 to 1 is one side of triangle and so one part of the path over which we want to integrate. Taking x= 1, y= t as parametric equations, dx= 0, dy= dt so the integral becomes
[tex]\int_0^1 1 dx= 1[/itex]

But you still have to do the other two sides of the triangle.

On the line y= 0, we can use parametric equations x= t, y= 0 with t from 0 to 1. Then dx= dt, dy= 0 but [itex]y^2 dx= 0dt[/itex] so the integral is
[tex]\int_0^1 0dt= 0[/itex].

On the line y= x, where we are integrating from (1, 1) to (0, 0) (we got counterclockwise around the closed path), we can take x= t, y= t so that dx= dt, dy= dt and the integral is
[tex]\int_1^0 2t^2 dt= -\int_0^1 2t^2 dt= -2/3[/itex] and the entire integral is 1- 2/3= 1/3.

could I just use Green's theorem?
Yes, you certainly could!

I mean using Greens theorem I get the same result

[URL]http://www2.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP167119b34a9g72bg50ia000021ai53gc37dac65a?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=3&w=186&h=37[/URL]

im 99% sure that greens theorem is correct, i mean the way i implemented it, but is the first way i showed also correct?

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot for your help

that cleared up everything in my mind

1. How do you calculate a line integral with triangle C?

To calculate a line integral with triangle C, you will need to first determine the parametrization of the curve that forms the boundary of the triangle. This will involve finding the equations for each side of the triangle and determining the direction of integration along each side. Once you have the parametrization, you can use the line integral formula to evaluate the integral.

2. Can you explain the concept of a line integral with triangle C?

A line integral with triangle C is a type of integration that involves calculating the total change of a scalar or vector field along the boundary of a triangle. It is used in various fields of science, including physics and engineering, to determine the work done or the amount of flow through a surface.

3. What is the formula for calculating a line integral with triangle C?

The formula for calculating a line integral with triangle C is ∫C F(x,y) · ds = ∫ab F(x(t),y(t)) · |r'(t)| dt, where F(x,y) is the scalar or vector field, C is the boundary of the triangle, and r(t) is the parametrization of the curve that forms the boundary.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculating a line integral with triangle C?

Some real-world applications of calculating a line integral with triangle C include determining the work done by a force on an object that moves along a curved path, calculating the flow of a fluid through a surface, and determining the electric potential or magnetic field along a path in physics and engineering problems.

5. Is there any software or tools available to help with calculating a line integral with triangle C?

Yes, there are various software and tools available to help with calculating a line integral with triangle C. Some popular options include Mathematica, MATLAB, and Wolfram Alpha. These tools can help with evaluating complicated integrals and visualizing the results of the calculation.