Why is 12.28 True if \dot{X'^j} = 0?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, equation 12.28 is only true if the sigma derivative of \dot{X^J}(\tau, \sigma') is equal to 0, which is true because the sigma argument has a prime, but the sigma in the derivative operator has no prime. This follows from equation 12.27, which does not require \dot{X^J}(\tau, \sigma') to be equal to 0.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

equation 12.28 is only true if [tex]\dot{X'^j} [/tex] is equal to 0, right? Why is that true?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

equation 12.28 is only true if [tex]\dot{X'^j} [/tex] is equal to 0, right? Why is that true?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No. It follows from 12.27 which does not require anything like that

but isn't the only way that

[tex] \frac{d}{d\sigma} (X^I \dot{X^J}-\dot{X}^J X^I) = X^I' \dot{X^J}-\dot{X}^J X^I'[/tex]

if \dot{X^J}' equal 0

?

ehrenfest said:
but isn't the only way that

[tex] \frac{d}{d\sigma} (X^I \dot{X^J}-\dot{X}^J X^I) = X^I' \dot{X^J}-\dot{X}^J X^I'[/tex]

if \dot{X^J}' equal 0

?

No. I am not sure why you conclude this. Notice that for I not equal to J, the expression in parenthesis is zero even before taking a derivative.

I think I see now. It should really be

[tex] \frac{d}{d\sigma} (X^I (\tau, \sigma) \dot{X^J}(\tau, \sigma')-\dot{X}^J(\tau, \sigma') X^I(\tau, \sigma)) [/tex]

and the sigma derivative of a function of sigma prime is 0.

ehrenfest said:
I think I see now. It should really be

[tex] \frac{d}{d\sigma} (X^I (\tau, \sigma) \dot{X^J}(\tau, \sigma')-\dot{X}^J(\tau, \sigma') X^I(\tau, \sigma)) [/tex]

and the sigma derivative of a function of sigma prime is 0.

I am sorry, maybe I am too slow tonight (after 8 hours of marking) but I don't quite see what you mean. The expression in parenthesis is zero whenever I is not equal to J. Those X's are operators. And they commute when I is not equal to J. when I = J, they don't commute but give a delta function of sigma - sigma'.

Note that [itex]\sigma[/itex] and [itex]\sigma'[/itex] are independent variables in this equation.

nrqed said:
I am sorry, maybe I am too slow tonight (after 8 hours of marking) but I don't quite see what you mean. The expression in parenthesis is zero whenever I is not equal to J. Those X's are operators. And they commute when I is not equal to J. when I = J, they don't commute but give a delta function of sigma - sigma'.

I think maybe you are missing the dot on top of the x^J. That represents a tau derivative.

ehrenfest said:
I think maybe you are missing the dot on top of the x^J. That represents a tau derivative.

You are right, I forgot to say that it's the conmmutator of X with dot X. But my point is the same: X^I and (dot X)^J commute whenever I is not equal to J. So the derivative is zero trivially because the expression in parenthesis is zero before even taking thee derivative and not because there is no sigma dependence (well, there is sigma dependence trivially because it's zero!)

[tex]X^I (\tau, \sigma) \dot{X^J}(\tau, \sigma')-\dot{X}^J(\tau, \sigma') X^I(\tau, \sigma) = 2 \pi \alpha' \eta^{IJ} \delta(\sigma - \sigma ') [/tex]
is equation 12.27 expanded

[tex] \frac{d}{d\sigma} (X'^I (\tau, \sigma) \dot{X^J}(\tau, \sigma')-\dot{X}^J(\tau, \sigma') X'^I(\tau, \sigma)) = 2 \pi \alpha' \eta^{IJ} \frac{d}{d \sigma}\delta(\sigma - \sigma ') [/tex]
is equation 12.28 expanded

12.28 follows from 12.27 only if [tex] \frac{d}{d\sigma}(\dot{X}^J(\tau, \sigma')) = 0[/tex] which is true only because the sigma argument has a prime but the sigma in the derivative operator has no prime.

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
[tex]X^I (\tau, \sigma) \dot{X^J}(\tau, \sigma')-\dot{X}^J(\tau, \sigma') X^I(\tau, \sigma) = 2 \pi \alpha' \eta^{IJ} \delta(\sigma - \sigma ') [/tex]
is equation 12.27 expanded

[tex] \frac{d}{d\sigma} (X'^I (\tau, \sigma) \dot{X^J}(\tau, \sigma')-\dot{X}^J(\tau, \sigma') X'^I(\tau, \sigma)) = 2 \pi \alpha' \eta^{IJ} \frac{d}{d \sigma}\delta(\sigma - \sigma ') [/tex]
is equation 12.28 expanded
There si no d/dsigma on the left side
12.28 follows from 12.27 only if [tex] \frac{d}{d\sigma}(\dot{X}^J(\tau, \sigma')) = 0[/tex] which is true only because the sigma argument has a prime but the sigma in the derivative operator has no prime.

Ok, I see what your question was. yes, of course, [itex] \frac{d}{d \sigma} f(\sigma') = 0 [/itex]. Sorry, I did not understand your question because this was implicit for me.

Related to Why is 12.28 True if \dot{X'^j} = 0?

1. Why is 12.28 considered true in this scenario?

The number 12.28 is considered true because it is the value of a physical quantity that has been measured and verified through experimentation or observation. In this case, it is most likely the value of the velocity, represented by \dot{X'^j}, which has been found to be equal to 0.

2. What does the symbol \dot{X'^j} represent?

The symbol \dot{X'^j} represents the derivative of the position vector X'^j with respect to time. In other words, it represents the rate of change of the position over time, which is often interpreted as the velocity.

3. How is the value of 12.28 obtained?

The value of 12.28 is most likely obtained through experimental or observational data. Scientists use various methods and instruments to measure physical quantities, such as velocity, and the value of 12.28 is the result of these measurements.

4. Is 12.28 always true for this equation?

No, the value of 12.28 may not always be true for this equation. It depends on the specific circumstances and conditions under which the measurement was taken. The value of the velocity, represented by \dot{X'^j}, may vary depending on factors such as the object's mass, environment, and external forces acting on it.

5. What does it mean for \dot{X'^j} to equal 0?

When \dot{X'^j} equals 0, it means that the rate of change of the position vector, and therefore the velocity, is 0. This can have different interpretations depending on the context, but it generally means that the object is not moving or that its motion is constant and unchanging.