Questions about admission to Cornell University

In summary, the conversation includes questions about admission to Cornell University for a graduate degree in Physics, with the person asking indicating they have a strong academic background and recommendation letter. They are also looking for scholarship opportunities and express concern about their chances of being accepted. Some resources are shared, such as Cornell's website and an article on admission to top physics programs.
physicsatiztech
"Questions about admission to Cornell University"

I will take my Bsc. in Physics next year. And I have already started to think about my Msc. degree. I m considering Cornell Univ. My cGPA will be like 3.40/4.00.However, my core courses averege is about 3.70/4.00. And I have strong recommendation latter from my well-known Prof. in Particle Physics. I want to study on Particle Physics as well.
My university education language is English, so Cornell don't want to take me TOEFL. I will take GRE General and GRE Physics test. I have participated some national and international conferences and presented presantations. I will also participate
a national summer school, and i have a project with a full support of Turkish National Science Foundation,project title is "Dark matter and Alternatives".

Finally, my questions are
"what is my chance being accepted as graduate student to Cornell Univ."
"Can I get a scholarship somehow from USA?"

Please help me, It makes me bad to think these things
Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really have any input on your first question, but as for your second, the answer is available on Cornell's website if you just look for it:

"The Physics Department admits only as many graduate students as it anticipates being able to support through the Ph.D. Every effort is made to offer full financial support to all graduate students until they complete their advanced degree."

(From http://www.physics.cornell.edu/graduate/financial-aid/ )

Last edited by a moderator:
this might help: http://www.aip.org/gpb/pdf_files/317.pdf

I guess you are from outside USA. you are now in B.Sc and you are thinking about PhD from now? you are so early ... anyway from which university you are? I have pretty good knowledge about admission in USA. reputation of your university also matters getting in cornell...
last advice is go through this link:

http://www.physics.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html

the writer himself is cornell PhD.

take care

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... I may not be able to answer your question specifically about physics but, I went to Cornell for B.S in Mech Eng.

My roomate is doing PhD in Physics at Cornell and he also did undergrad at Cornell so, it was a little easier for him to get in. However, I know that the PhD physics program at Cornell is one of the best in US so, I would recommend having excellent grades and recommendations. Seems like you may be a good candidate from you description but, admission process is so weird that no one can say you'll get in...

1. What are the admission requirements for Cornell University?

The admission requirements for Cornell University include a strong academic record, high standardized test scores (SAT or ACT), letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal essay. The university also looks for students who have demonstrated leadership, community service, and extracurricular involvement.

2. What is the acceptance rate at Cornell University?

The acceptance rate at Cornell University varies depending on the specific school or college within the university. For the overall university, the acceptance rate is approximately 10.9%, making it a highly selective institution.

3. Is there an advantage to applying early decision to Cornell University?

Applying early decision to Cornell University can be advantageous for students who are certain that Cornell is their top choice. Early decision applicants are reviewed in a separate pool and have a higher acceptance rate compared to regular decision applicants. Additionally, applying early decision shows the admissions committee your strong interest in attending Cornell.

4. What is the average GPA and test scores of admitted students at Cornell University?

The average GPA of admitted students at Cornell University is around a 4.0 on a 4.0 scale. The average SAT score is 1500 and the average ACT score is 34. However, it's important to note that admissions decisions are based on a holistic review of a student's application, and these numbers are not the sole determining factor.

5. Are there any specific requirements for international students applying to Cornell University?

International students must meet the same admission requirements as domestic students, including submitting standardized test scores and letters of recommendation. However, they may also be required to take an English proficiency test if English is not their first language. International students must also obtain a student visa in order to study at Cornell University.