What is the relationship between wavelength and phase for mechanical waves?

In summary, the problem involves three waves traveling along a string and the phases for the waves are given by the equation (kx-wt). The wavelength is related to k by the equation lambda=2pi/k. The goal is to determine the relationship between k and the wavelength in order to solve the problem. By looking at the picture and interpreting the information, it is determined that the wave with the longest wavelength has the smallest value for k, and the other two waves can be matched accordingly.
kpx001

Homework Statement

The figure shows a snapshot of three waves traveling along a string, where x,t are in SI units. The phases for the waves are given by... the picture and problem is in this link
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2407/phys1prob.th.png

Homework Equations

(kx-wt)
lambda=2pi/k

The Attempt at a Solution

Basiclly I think I can solve the rest if i understand this problem. The wavelength= 2pi ?
but when i solve for k... k=2pi/lambda, k is one. the answer should give me that k is 2, and the only way i can get that is if the wavelength is pi. Can anyone please help me to understand this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If k = 2π / λ then the wave with the smallest k corresponds to the longest wavelength.

So ...

I now understand the relationship, but I want to know how to do it the mathematical way.

How do you mean "mathematical way"? The information that you are given is in a picture that you have to interpret.

oh so it would be k=2n/lambda ... the 2n = 2(2pi) and the lambda = 2pi?

kpx001 said:
... the 2n = 2(2pi) and the lambda = 2pi?

I don't know what you mean by this. The wavelength is inversely proportional to k. Therefore long wavelength means small k. Look at the picture. Which of the three waves has the longest wavelength? Then look at the phases. Which one has the smallest k, (a), (b) or (c)? Match the two. Continue with the other two waves.

1. What is the definition of a mechanical wave?

A mechanical wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, causing particles of the medium to vibrate and transfer energy from one point to another.

2. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves have particles that vibrate perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while longitudinal waves have particles that vibrate parallel to the direction of wave propagation.

3. How is the wavelength of a mechanical wave related to its frequency and speed?

The wavelength of a wave is inversely proportional to its frequency and directly proportional to its speed. This means that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases, and as speed increases, wavelength also increases.

4. What is the phase difference between two waves?

The phase difference between two waves is the measure of how much one wave lags or leads behind the other wave. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

5. Can mechanical waves travel through a vacuum?

No, mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, so they cannot travel through a vacuum. Examples of media that mechanical waves can travel through include air, water, and solids.