How Can I Correctly Graph the Trigonometric Function f(x) = 2cos(3x+pi/2) -1?

In summary, to graph a trig function, you will need to identify its amplitude, period, and phase shift, and plot key points on the coordinate plane. The amplitude is the distance from the midline to the highest or lowest point on the curve, and the period is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs on the graph. A phase shift is a horizontal shift of the graph of a trig function, indicated by the value inside the parentheses in the function. Trig functions are commonly used to model real-life situations in various fields of science and engineering.
dash00
i have a problem graphing trig functions such as f(x) = 2cos(3x+pi/2) -1

i know this should be very simple but i am missing something :frown:

can someone explain the way youd go about graphing this
amp= 2
period = 2pi/3
y trans = -1
x trans = (pi/2)/3 [right?]

so when i try graph it my answer is wrong, what am i missing? is it something to do with the smaller period, need help , please!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
HINT:[tex] \cos \left(3x+\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=-\sin 3x [/tex]

Daniel.

Graphing trigonometric functions can be tricky, but with some practice and understanding of the key components, it can become easier. Let's break down the given function f(x) = 2cos(3x+pi/2) -1 and discuss the steps to graph it correctly.

Step 1: Identify the amplitude and period

The amplitude of a trigonometric function is the distance from the midline to the highest or lowest point on the graph. In this case, the amplitude is 2. The period of a trigonometric function is the length of one complete cycle. To find the period, we use the formula P = 2pi/b, where b is the coefficient of x. In this case, b = 3, so the period is 2pi/3.

Step 2: Determine the phase shift

The phase shift is the horizontal translation of the function. It tells us how much the graph has shifted to the left or right. To find the phase shift, we use the formula c/b, where c is the constant term in the function. In this case, c = pi/2, and b = 3, so the phase shift is (pi/2)/3 or pi/6. This means that the graph has shifted pi/6 units to the left.

Step 3: Find the vertical translation

The vertical translation, also known as the y-intercept, tells us how much the graph has shifted up or down. In this case, the function is -1, which means the graph has shifted down 1 unit.

Step 4: Plot key points

To graph the function, we need to plot some key points. We can find these points by plugging in different values for x and solving for y. Here are some key points to plot:

x = 0, y = 1
x = pi/6, y = 1
x = pi/3, y = -1
x = pi/2, y = -3
x = 2pi/3, y = -1
x = 5pi/6, y = 1
x = pi, y = 3

Step 5: Plot the points and connect them with a smooth curve

Using the key points we found, we can now plot them on a graph and connect them with a smooth curve. Remember to label the axes and include the amplitude, period, and

Related to How Can I Correctly Graph the Trigonometric Function f(x) = 2cos(3x+pi/2) -1?

1. How do you graph a trig function?

To graph a trig function, you will need to first identify the amplitude, period, and phase shift of the function. Then, plot the key points on the coordinate plane and connect them to create a smooth curve. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to graph the function.

2. What is the amplitude of a trig function?

The amplitude of a trig function is the distance from the midline to the highest or lowest point on the curve. It is equal to half the difference between the maximum and minimum values of the function.

3. How do you find the period of a trig function?

The period of a trig function is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs on the graph. It can be calculated by dividing 2π by the coefficient of the x variable in the function.

4. What is a phase shift in trigonometry?

A phase shift in trigonometry is a horizontal shift of the graph of a trig function. It is represented by the value inside the parentheses in the function, and it indicates the direction and amount of the shift.

5. Can you use a trig function to model real-life situations?

Yes, trig functions are used to model a variety of real-life phenomena such as sound waves, ocean tides, and the motion of a pendulum. They can also be used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to analyze and predict natural phenomena.