Distinguish Between Conservative & Non-Conservative Forces

In summary, it is possible to confuse a non-conservative force with a conservative one, but the key is to analyze the work done by the force in a closed path to determine its true nature.
Paintjunkie
I have a general understanding of what a conservative force is. I am wondering if its possible to confuse a non conservative force with a conservative one.

for example, speaking hypothetically, if you were measuring a force in an referance frame that was moving with constant acceleration. should that force be a result of that constant acceleration, you would think that the force was conservative right? If that's right could the same be said with a referance frame moving with constant velocity?

I think I explained that right...
There must be a way to tell but I can't remember...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to confuse a non-conservative force with a conservative one. In the case of a reference frame moving with constant acceleration, the force is likely to be non-conservative due to the effects of inertia. The same can be said for a reference frame moving with constant velocity. However, in both cases, the force may be conservative depending on the exact nature of the force and the physics involved. To determine whether the force is conservative or non-conservative, one needs to look at the work done by the force over a closed path. If the work done is always zero, then the force is conservative. Conversely, if the work done is not always zero, then the force is non-conservative.

1. What is the difference between conservative and non-conservative forces?

Conservative forces are those that do not dissipate energy and can be fully recovered, while non-conservative forces dissipate energy and cannot be fully recovered.

2. How can you identify a conservative force?

A conservative force is one that depends only on the initial and final positions of an object, and not on the path taken to get there. This means that the work done by a conservative force is independent of the path taken.

3. What are some examples of conservative forces?

Some examples of conservative forces include gravity, electrostatic forces, and magnetic forces.

4. Can non-conservative forces do work?

Yes, non-conservative forces can do work by dissipating energy. For example, friction is a non-conservative force that does work by converting mechanical energy into heat.

5. How do conservative and non-conservative forces affect the total energy of a system?

Conservative forces do not change the total energy of a system, as they only transfer energy between different forms. Non-conservative forces, on the other hand, decrease the total energy of a system by dissipating it as heat or other forms of energy.