Conservative and Non Conservative Forces

In summary, conservative forces do not dissipate energy, while non-conservative forces do. When applying a force to an object on a table, the friction force between the object and the table converts mechanical energy to heat, making it non-conservative. However, the force you apply itself is neither conservative nor dissipative, as it depends on the purpose it serves. For example, when placing a book on a higher shelf, the work you do is converted into gravitational potential energy. Even when placing a book on a lower shelf, where gravity does the positive work and you do the negative work, you still get tired. This is because your muscles are using energy, but no mechanical work is being done.
Physicslearner500039
I was referring to the conservative and non conservative forces. When i was thinking about it for example when i apply force on an object on the table the object moves a distance and when i remove the force the object does not come back to original position. Can i assume that the force i apply is non conservative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

It's more the force you have to overcome: the friction force between the moving object and the table is the one that converts the mechanical energy to a lower grade energy (utlimately: heat).

The force you apply is neither conservative or dissipative: depends on what it is used for. For example: when placing a book on a higher shelf, the work you do is converted into gravitational potential energy.

If this brings up the question: what about placing the book on a lower shelf ? There gravity does the positive work and you do the negative work. But you still get tired. Even when just holding the book in front of you, you get tired -- and no (mechanical) work is done at all ! Tell that to your muscles !

1. What is the difference between conservative and non-conservative forces?

Conservative forces are those that do not dissipate energy and can be fully recovered, such as gravity and electrostatic forces. Non-conservative forces, on the other hand, dissipate energy and cannot be fully recovered, such as friction and air resistance.

2. How do conservative forces affect the motion of an object?

Conservative forces only change the potential energy of an object and do not affect its kinetic energy. This means that the total mechanical energy (sum of potential and kinetic energy) of the object remains constant.

3. Can conservative forces do work on an object?

No, conservative forces do not do work on an object. This is because work is defined as the product of a force and the displacement in the direction of the force, and for conservative forces, the displacement and force are always perpendicular to each other.

4. How can you determine if a force is conservative or non-conservative?

A force is conservative if the work done by the force is independent of the path taken by the object. This means that the work done by a conservative force only depends on the initial and final positions of the object, and not on the path it takes.

5. What are some real-life examples of conservative and non-conservative forces?

Examples of conservative forces include the force of gravity, electrostatic force, and spring force. Examples of non-conservative forces include friction, air resistance, and tension in a rope.