Particle at 0 at Time 0: Where After 1 Sec?

In summary: A better expression for distance moved each turn would be 0.5\frac{1}{2}^{n-1} which is easily recognised to be a geometric series which sums to 1."In summary, the particle moves to 0.5, 0.75, and 1 after 0.5, 0.75, and 1 seconds, respectively.
xavier_r
Consider, a particle at position 0 at time = 0
Lets say it moves to 0.5 after 0.5 seconds
It moves to [tex]0.75[/tex] after [tex]0.75[/tex] seconds
and in general...
It moves to [tex]1 - 0.5^n[/tex] after [tex]1 - 0.5^n[/tex] seconds

So where will the particle be after 1 second?

EDIT:

n goes like 0,1,2,3...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the variable n? This seems very very unphysical.

It looks to me like you defined the problem to say that distance increases linearly at a rate of 1 unit per second.

d=s*t
s=1
d=t

Or am I missing something? I don't see where a variable "n" would fit in.

No, he means n = t.

He's saying

x(t) = 1 - .5^t

so:
x(0) = 0
x(1) = .5
x(2) = .75
x(3) = .875
etc.

You get infinitely close to 1 but never reach it.

But what's your question?

Last edited:
You haven't defined where the particle will be at when time = 1, since [itex] 1 - 0.5^n[/itex] is less than 1 for all positive integers n = 0,1,2,3,...

A better expression for distance moved each turn would be [tex]0.5\frac{1}{2}^{n-1}[/tex] which is easily recognised to be a geometric series which sums to 1.

Well it seems u guys are pretty confused,
I'm sorry for that... I'll explain more clearly what's in my mind

See,
Here the function for time t(n) = [tex]1-0.5^n[/tex]
And the function for distance is x(n) = [tex]1-0.5^n[/tex]
n is nothing but a parameter...

So after t(n) seconds the particle is at position x(n)...
And as n approaches infinity the particle does approach one
And at n = infinity, the particle will be (or perhaps it won't) at position 1 after1 second...

Here we are not concerned with n itself... But rather how is it possible, that the particle performs infinite amount of tasks in a given finite time, ie., 1 second... ?

Last edited:
If time and space were quantized in discrete units called Planck time and length, then no paradox would arise.

Planck time and space... very fascinating concepts indeed... thanks for sharing that...
Then what is the fatest event in the universe, such that no other event could occur any faster...? Is it a photon moving through a distance equal to the Planck length ?

EDIT: Maybe this universe is digital... ;)

peter0302 said:
No, he means n = t.

He's saying

x(t) = 1 - .5^t

so:
x(0) = 0
x(1) = .5
x(2) = .75
x(3) = .875
etc.

You get infinitely close to 1 but never reach it.

But what's your question?
He doesn't define n=t, in fact he defines a distance function without a t in it (in two separate posts). He says "it moves to 0.5 after 0.5 seconds It moves to .75 after .75 seconds"

That's
x(t)=t
x(.5)=.5
x(.75)=.75
Well it seems u guys are pretty confused,
I'm sorry for that... I'll explain more clearly what's in my mind

See,
Here the function for time t(n) = 1-.5^n
And the function for distance is x(n) = 1-.5^n
n is nothing but a parameter...
That's two hyperbolic functions x(n) and t(n), but a function x(t) would again be linear:

for n=1, t(n)=.5, x(n)=.5
for n=2, t(n)=.75, x(n)=.75
etc.
Here we are not concerned with n itself... But rather how is it possible, that the particle performs infinite amount of tasks in a given finite time, ie., 1 second... ?
What you are doing is just proving a simple principle of math: there are an infinite number of points between any two points. Mathematically, you can always make an interval smaller. You are examining your linear system in smaller and smaller intervals.

Last edited:
hi

So, first let's say that our physical equivalent of the equations you've made is simple:
[tex]x(t) = t[/tex]
To make it more adequate, let's denote that t varies from [0,1].
Variable n doesn't have any physical meaning - it's a parameter, as one said. So, as i read through the topic, it was just a tool to show that vast infinity huh? Maybe clever but it has similar function to descriptions of Zeno paradox. As russ_waters said, in fundamental physics we believe that space and time isnt' quantified.

Where will be the particle after first second? We don't know, your eq. don't say that.

russ_watters said:
What you are doing is just proving a simple principle of math: there are an infinite number of points between any two points. Mathematically, you can always make an interval smaller. You are examining your linear system in smaller and smaller intervals.

Yea, I agree! Mathematically, it is very easily evident!
But in physics, how can infinite number of tasks be done in a finite amount of time?

dy-e said:
Where will be the particle after first second? We don't know, your eq. don't say that.

I think Defennder is right

"If time and space were quantized in discrete units called Planck time and length, then no paradox would arise."

xavier_r said:
But in physics, how can infinite number of tasks be done in a finite amount of time?
By making sure that as the number of tasks becomes infinite, the time per task becomes infinitely small.

...which is what you did, xavier!

This is called a http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/spacetime-supertasks/" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Crosson said:
This is called a http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/spacetime-supertasks/" .

Thanks crosson...!

Last edited by a moderator:
xavier_r said:
Consider, a particle at position 0 at time = 0
Lets say it moves to 0.5 after 0.5 seconds
It moves to [tex]0.75[/tex] after [tex]0.75[/tex] seconds
and in general...
It moves to [tex]1 - 0.5^n[/tex] after [tex]1 - 0.5^n[/tex] seconds

So where will the particle be after 1 second?

EDIT:

n goes like 0,1,2,3...
Looks straightforward to me. You are saying that the particle has speed of 1 distance unit per second. After 1 second, it will be at 1. The "n" is a red herring.

1) What is meant by "particle at 0 at time 0"?

When we say "particle at 0 at time 0", we are referring to the position of a particle at the starting time of 0 seconds. This means that the particle is located at a point on a coordinate system where the value of its position is 0.

2) Where is the particle located after 1 second?

The location of the particle after 1 second will depend on its velocity and the forces acting on it. Without any external forces, the particle will continue to stay at the same position. If there are forces acting on the particle, its location may change.

3) Can the particle's position be negative?

Yes, the particle's position can be negative. This simply means that the particle is located in the negative direction on a coordinate system. It does not necessarily indicate a physical "negative" position.

4) How is the position of the particle measured?

The position of the particle is typically measured using a coordinate system, such as the Cartesian coordinate system. This system uses a set of perpendicular axes to determine the position of an object in space.

5) What factors can affect the position of the particle after 1 second?

The position of the particle can be affected by various factors, such as its initial velocity, acceleration, and external forces like friction or gravity. Additionally, the mass and shape of the particle can also play a role in its position after 1 second.