Which Plastic for Slide Charts? PVC, PEC or ??

In summary: IRO has a resource centre which can provide more information on this.In summary, PVC, PEC or High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) may be the best option for the slide chart application.
mselak500
PVC, PEC or ??

I am looking for some help in determining the appropriate type of plastic for my application.

I am in the process of having a slide chart manufactured out of plastic. It was recommended that I use 0.024 inch thick clear PVC. The samples produced with the PVC were fine with the exception that when I left one in a briefcase in my car on a hot summer day, the slide chart took a permanent waviness to it. I’m guessing the car got hot enough that PVC hit a temperature transition point.

The manufacturer is now recommending PEC for the application, which is suppose to be more susceptible to higher temperatures. Can anyone verify that PEC would be the way to go or recommend a different material?

My goal is make a durable slide chart that last through normal wear and tear. Surviving the temperatures of a hot car might be excessive, but I would like to make the best product I can.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Pec?

I never heard of PEC either, but on the internet I found:

Polyethylenechlorinates (PEC)

I'm in unfamiliar territory here.

Thanks,

The only PEC I know of which can be considered a plastic might be polyethylene carbonate
http://www.empowermaterials.com/products/qpac25/

however it does not sound like it will fit your application...

maybe the manufacturer you are working with has something different in mind when they say PEC?

Thanks to everyone’s help so far.

If we assume the manufactures specification of PEC is a mistake, does anyone have a recommendation for the type of plastic I should use for this application?

Thanks,
Mark

Generally PVCs show low melt and glass transition temperatures. They're also known to be very susceptible to UV damage.

I'd agree with L62 (especially because you were originally specified a clear PVC) that by PEC the supplier means polycarbonate. Polycarb has very good impact resistance and is often used for bullet-resistant glass replacement and glasses lenses due to good clarity. You might find it scratches easily, depending on any coatings the supplier adds.

Again it's susceptible to UV damage as well as many chemical solvents such as acetone so you might need a coating if you're planning on leaving it outside or cleaning it with harsh products...

If it were polycarbonate, it sounds like a pretty good choice to be honest. Another alternative for a clear product would be perspex (polymethyl methacrylate, PMMA), as it's cheap, very clear and still pretty rugged. It melts at a decently higher temperature than PVC too, so it should be alright if left in a car.

Hope this helps.

mselak500 said:
I am looking for some help in determining the appropriate type of plastic for my application.

I am in the process of having a slide chart manufactured out of plastic. It was recommended that I use 0.024 inch thick clear PVC. The samples produced with the PVC were fine with the exception that when I left one in a briefcase in my car on a hot summer day, the slide chart took a permanent waviness to it. I’m guessing the car got hot enough that PVC hit a temperature transition point.

The manufacturer is now recommending PEC for the application, which is suppose to be more susceptible to higher temperatures. Can anyone verify that PEC would be the way to go or recommend a different material?

My goal is make a durable slide chart that last through normal wear and tear. Surviving the temperatures of a hot car might be excessive, but I would like to make the best product I can.

Try High-Density Polyethylene(HDPE).

CS

1. What is the difference between PVC and PEC plastic for slide charts?

Both PVC and PEC are types of plastic materials commonly used for slide charts. PVC stands for polyvinyl chloride, while PEC stands for polyethylene copolymer. The main difference between the two is their chemical composition, which affects their physical properties such as flexibility and durability.

2. Which plastic is more environmentally friendly, PVC or PEC?

In terms of environmental impact, PEC is considered to be more eco-friendly than PVC. This is because PEC is a type of biodegradable plastic, meaning it can break down into natural materials over time. PVC, on the other hand, is not biodegradable and can release harmful chemicals when incinerated.

3. What are the advantages of using PVC for slide charts?

PVC is a durable and versatile material, making it a popular choice for slide charts. It is resistant to water, chemicals, and weathering, making it suitable for outdoor use. PVC is also easy to print on and can be made into a variety of colors and finishes.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using PVC or PEC for slide charts?

Both PVC and PEC are considered safe for use in slide charts. However, there have been concerns about the use of PVC due to the potential release of phthalates, which are chemicals used to make the plastic more flexible. PEC does not contain phthalates and is generally considered to be a safer option.

5. Can other types of plastic be used for slide charts?

Yes, there are other types of plastic that can be used for slide charts, such as PET (polyethylene terephthalate) and polystyrene. These plastics have different properties and may be more suitable for certain applications. It is important to consider the specific needs and requirements of a slide chart when choosing the type of plastic to use.