Dynamics - pendulum hanging on a cord, determine T in cord

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the normal force on a cord when the angle is phi. This was easily solvable with the principle of work and energy, but this method specifically is required.
srvs

Homework Statement

A pendulum of mass m and length L is released
from rest at an angle Ф to the vertical. There is no
friction and g = 9.81 m/s2.

Determine the normal force in the cord when Ф =
0°.

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pend.jpg

Note that phi is giving in degrees.

2. The attempt at a solution
Decomposing in the radial direction, and taking T as the tension in the cord:
[tex]\sum F_{r} = m*a_{r} = - T + mgcos\Phi = m(-L\omega[/tex]²) (1)

Decomposing in transverse direction:
[tex]\sum F_{\theta} = m*a_{\theta} = mgsin\Phi = m(L\alpha)[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = d\omega/d\Phi * d\Phi/dt = d\omega/d\Phi * \omega [/tex]

So:
[tex]mgsin\Phi = m(L(d\omega/d\Phi)\omega)[/tex]

[tex]sin\Phi d\Phi = (L/g) \omega d\omega[/tex]

When the angle is phi, the angular velocity is 0. When the angle is 0, the angular velocity is omega.
[tex](L/g) \int^{\omega}_{0}\omega d\omega = \int^{0}_{\Phi} sin\Phi d\Phi[/tex]

[tex]\omega^{2} = -2(g/L)(1 - cos \Phi)[/tex]

So I end up with a negative term for my angular velocity square. So I can't calculate my angular velocity. Even if I use this omega square and stick it into (1), the resulting equation for T is wrong.

This was easily solvable with the principle of work and energy, however this method specifically is required.

Can someone give me a headsup of where I've gone wrong? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is a simple sign one.

Your equation for Sum of F_Theta has mg*sinPHI = mL*ALPHA. But if you're measuring PHI from the downward-vertical, this equation is false. It should read:

-mg*sinPHI = mL*ALPHA.

The reason? Well, for PHI > 0, the pendulum is to the right of the lower diagonal, sinPHI is positive, but the pendulum bob will have negative acceleration.

This resolves the problem and will yield the same answer as the energy method for OMEGA^2: 2m/L (1 - cos phi).

Yeah, just a sign thing.

edit: Oops ignore previous question, I understand it now. Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited:

Related to Dynamics - pendulum hanging on a cord, determine T in cord

1. What is a pendulum and how does it work?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point so that it can swing freely back and forth. The motion of a pendulum is governed by the force of gravity and the tension in the cord. When the pendulum is pulled away from its resting position, it will swing back and forth in a regular pattern.

2. What is the formula for calculating the period (T) of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. How does the length of the pendulum affect its period?

The length of the pendulum directly affects its period. As the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This means that longer pendulums will take longer to complete one swing than shorter pendulums.

4. What factors can affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum can be affected by several factors such as the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, the amplitude of the swing, and the strength of the gravitational force at that location.

5. How can the period of a pendulum be determined experimentally?

To determine the period of a pendulum experimentally, the pendulum's length and the number of swings it makes in a given time can be measured. Then, the formula T = 2π√(L/g) can be used to calculate the period. This process can be repeated multiple times to ensure accuracy.