Proving the Mean Value Theorem: Limiting θ(h) to 1/2

In summary, we are given the function f:[a, a+h] → R and a value θ ∈ (0,1) that satisfies the Mean Value Theorem. We are asked to prove that if f′′(a) exists and is non-zero, then the limit of θ(h) as h approaches 0 is equal to 1/2. We can approach this by using the definition of the second derivative and manipulating the given equation to get variations of f'(a+h) and f'(a). From there, we can use l'hopital's rule to find f''(a) and show that it is equal to 1/2.
kazuyak
Suppose that the conditions for the Mean Value Theorem hold for the function
f : [a, a + h] → R, so that for some θ ∈ (0, 1) we have f (a + h) − f (a) = hf ′ (a + θh).
Fix f and a, and for each non-zero h write θ(h) for a corresponding value of θ.
Prove that if f ′′ (a) exists and is non-zero then lim(h→0) θ(h) = 1/2 .

I have no clue how to handle this problem. Could anyone please give me some hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second derivative is, of course, the derivative of the first derivative. That is,
[tex]\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}(a)= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f'(a+h)- f'(a)}{h}[/itex]

But you know that [itex]hf'(a+\theta h)= f(a+ h)- f(a)[/itex] so that [itex]f'(a+ \theta h)= (f(a+h)- f(a))/h[/itex].

Replace f'(a+h) and f'(a) with variations on that.

Do you mean that from f'(a+θh)=(f(a+h)-f(a))/h,
we get that f'(a)=(f(a+(1-θ)h)-f(a-θh))/h, f'(a+h)=(f(a+(2-θ)h)-f(a+(1-θ)h))/h
and than get f''(a) using l'hopital's rule? I doubt I'm doing what you mean, since it's leading me nowhere. Could you please give me some further hints?

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a differentiable function on a closed interval, there exists a point within that interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in proving limits?

In order to prove a limit using the Mean Value Theorem, we first rewrite the limit as a difference quotient. We then apply the Mean Value Theorem to the difference quotient and use the properties of the Mean Value Theorem to manipulate the equation in order to prove the limit.

3. What is θ(h) in the context of proving the Mean Value Theorem?

θ(h) is a function used in the proof of the Mean Value Theorem. It represents the average rate of change of the function over the interval [x, x+h]. In order to prove the theorem, we need to show that θ(h) approaches the limit as h approaches 0.

4. How does limiting θ(h) to 1/2 prove the Mean Value Theorem?

By limiting θ(h) to 1/2, we are essentially showing that the average rate of change of the function is equal to the slope of the tangent line at a specific point within the interval. This satisfies the criteria of the Mean Value Theorem and proves its validity.

5. Why is it important to prove the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is an important theorem in calculus that serves as the basis for many other theorems and concepts. It allows us to make connections between the derivative and the average rate of change of a function, and it is essential in proving the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Additionally, understanding and being able to prove the Mean Value Theorem is crucial for success in higher level mathematics and physics courses.