Can u substitution be used for Integral 3x(cos(2x))^2dx?

In summary, the conversation involved solving the integral 31(cos^2x)(sin(2x)dx) using double angle identities and integration by substitution. The solution involved rewriting the problem using the double angle identity for sin(2x), collecting like terms, and then using u-substitution to solve for the final answer. Another question regarding the integral 3x(cos(2x))^2dx was also asked, suggesting that the same method of u-substitution could possibly be used.
bgut06

Homework Statement

integral 31(cos^2x)(sin(2x)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so lost on this problem... Any suggestions would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking up the double angle identities and use them to re-write sin(2x). Then try integration by substitution.

So if the double angle for sin(2x) is 2sinxcosx... the problem would be rewritten as integral 31cos^2x(2sinxcosx)dx? Then what? Sorry I am still confused

Thanks for the help!

Now collect the cos(x) terms together. Then what do you have?

So it would become integral 31(2sinxcos^3)... Then make u=sinx du=cosxdx... Which would lead to 31 integral 2sinxcos^2xcosxdx... Then 31 integral 2sinx(1-sin^2x)du... 31 integral 2u(1-u^2)du... Eventually leading to 31u^2-31/2u^4... And then 31sin^2x-31/2sin^4x.. How does that look??

It's much simpler if you try u=cos(x), but I think your solution is correct.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thank you so much. I have another question if you don't mind.. . For Integral 3x(cos(2x))^2dx could I use u substitution with the 3x

1) What are trigonometric integrals?

Trigonometric integrals are integrals that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, and their inverse functions. They are used to find the areas under curves that involve these trigonometric functions.

2) How do you solve trigonometric integrals?

There are several techniques for solving trigonometric integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. The specific method used depends on the form of the integral.

3) What is the difference between a definite and indefinite trigonometric integral?

A definite trigonometric integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give a function of x.

4) Why are trigonometric integrals important?

Trigonometric integrals are important in many areas of mathematics and science, such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used to solve real-world problems involving periodic functions and can also be used to evaluate complicated expressions.

5) What are some common examples of trigonometric integrals?

Some common examples of trigonometric integrals include the integrals of sine, cosine, tangent, and their inverse functions, as well as integrals involving products of trigonometric functions and integrals with trigonometric substitutions.