How to prove derivative of Airy function

In summary, the Airy function is defined as the integral of a cosine function, and its derivative is the integral of a sine function. The proof of this result is not as simple as it may seem due to the need to commute the derivative and integral. However, by rotating the contour in the complex plane, the problem becomes trivial and the desired result can be obtained. The Airy function satisfies the differential equation y'' - xy = 0.
jostpuur
The Airy function is defined as follows:

[tex]
\textrm{Ai}(x) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int\limits_0^{\infty} \cos\big(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + xt\big)dt
[/tex]

It seems pretty probable, that its derivative is this:

[tex]
\textrm{Ai}'(x) = -\frac{1}{\pi}\int\limits_0^{\infty} t\sin\big(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + xt\big)dt
[/tex]

I'm interested to know how this result is proven. It's not as simple as it might seem on quick glance. Only thing that's trivial is this:

[tex]
\textrm{Ai}'(x) = \lim_{\Delta x\to 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\int\limits_0^{\infty}
\frac{\cos\big(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + (x+\Delta x)t\big) - \cos\big(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + xt\big)}{\Delta x}dt
= -\lim_{\Delta x\to 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\int\limits_0^{\infty} t\sin\big(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + (x+\xi_{t,\Delta x})t\big) dt
[/tex]

Where [itex]|\xi_{t,\Delta x}|\leq |\Delta x|[/itex]. So the non-trivial task is to prove that the order of limit and integration can be changed. The integral does not converge absolutely, but instead relies on cancellation of accelerating oscillations. If we have no better knowledge about [itex]\xi_{t,\Delta x}[/itex], it could behave in such manner that it starts picking more positive parts of the integrand than negative parts, and have surprising effect on the value of the integral.EDIT 1:

At first I thought it would be simple thing to prove that

[tex]
\textrm{Ai}''(x) = x\textrm{Ai}(x)
[/tex]

after it has been shown that the derivative and integral can be commuted, but actually that's not the only problem. If I assume that I can commute [itex]D_x^2[/itex] with the integral, I get the following:

[tex]
\textrm{Ai}''(x) = -\frac{1}{\pi}\int\limits_0^{\infty} t^2\cos\big(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + xt\big)dt
= -\frac{1}{\pi}\int\limits_0^{\infty}\Big( D_t\sin\big(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + xt\big) \;-\; x\cos\big(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + xt\big)\Big)dt
[/tex]

But [itex]\lim_{t\to\infty}\sin(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + xt)[/itex] does not exist and is not zero, so actually we can't conclude that the integral of the derivative would be zero. So how do you compute the second derivative then?

EDIT 2:

hmhmh... I just noticed that

[tex]
\int\limits_0^{\infty} t^{\alpha} \cos\big(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + xt\big)dt = \frac{1}{3}\int\limits_0^{\infty} u^{(\alpha - 2)/3} \cos\big(\frac{1}{3}u + xu^{1/3}\big) du
[/tex]

seems to converge only when [itex]-1 < \alpha < 2[/itex], and diverges for [itex]2 \leq \alpha[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use some complex analysis. I.e, use a variant of Jordan's lemma to rotate the contour in the complex plane so that the integrand converges exponentially. The problem then becomes trivial.

It is generally true that
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^b f(x,t)dt= \int_a^b \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} dt[/tex]

Are you allowed to use that or is that part of what you are trying to prove?

An application of that rule could only give us a formal result, because it is not clear that the right hand side of your expression exists in this case. If the derivative were dominated by some integrable function, we could apply your result, but we can't do that here.

However, if we first rotate the contour slightly (using a Jordan's lemma type argument) then our integrand converges exponentially and we can apply your result. :)

[tex]
\textrm{Ai}(x) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int\limits_0^{\infty} \cos\big(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + xt\big) dt
= \frac{1}{2\pi} \int\limits_0^{\infty} e^{i(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + xt)}dt
\;+\;\frac{1}{2\pi} \int\limits_0^{\infty} e^{-i(\frac{1}{3}t^3 + xt)}dt
[/tex]

So... the domains of integration should be rotated counter clockwise for the first integrand, and clockwise for the second integrand. I'll fix some [itex]0<\theta<\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex], and then examine counter clockwise integration domain

[tex]
[0,R]\;\cup\; \{Re^{i\phi}\;|\;0\leq\phi\leq\theta\}\;\cup\; \{re^{i\theta}\;|\;0\leq r\leq R\}
[/tex]

for the first integrand.

With fixed [itex]\theta[/itex], it is possible to find [itex]a>0[/itex] so that [itex]a\phi \leq \sin(\phi)[/itex] for all [itex]0\leq\phi\leq 3\theta[/itex]. The integral over the arc can be approximated above as follows.

[tex]
\Big| \int\limits_0^{\theta} e^{i(\frac{1}{3}R^3e^{3i\phi} + xRe^{i\phi})} Rie^{i\phi} d\phi\Big|
\leq R\int\limits_0^{\theta} e^{-\frac{1}{3}R^3\sin(3\phi) - xR\sin(\phi)}d\phi
\leq R\int\limits_0^{\theta}e^{(-aR^3 + |x|R)\phi} d\phi
[/tex]
[tex]
= \frac{1}{aR^2 - |x|}\Big(1 - e^{(-aR^3+|x|R)\theta}\Big) \underset{R\to\infty}{\to} 0
[/tex]

This means that

[tex]
\textrm{Ai}(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int\limits_0^{\infty} e^{i(\frac{1}{3}t^3 e^{3i\theta} + xte^{i\theta})} e^{i\theta} dt
\;+\;\frac{1}{2\pi} \int\limits_0^{\infty} e^{-i(\frac{1}{3}t^3e^{-3i\theta} + xte^{-i\theta})} e^{-i\theta} dt
[/tex]
[tex]
=\frac{1}{\pi}\textrm{Re}\Big( \int\limits_0^{\infty}
e^{\frac{1}{3}t^3(-\sin(3\theta)+i\cos(3\theta)) +xt(-\sin(\theta) + i\cos(\theta)) + i\theta} dt\Big)
[/tex]

The rest is clear.-------------

Life is lot easier for those who simply believe Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_function

By differentiating under the integration sign, we find that y = Ai(x) satisfies the differential equation
[tex]
y'' - xy = 0
[/tex]

*sigh!*

Last edited:

What is the Airy function?

The Airy function is a special mathematical function that is used to describe the behavior of certain physical phenomena, such as the propagation of light through a medium or the behavior of electrons in a potential well.

Why is it important to prove the derivative of the Airy function?

Proving the derivative of the Airy function is important because it allows us to better understand the behavior of this function and its applications in various fields of science and engineering. It also helps us to develop more accurate mathematical models and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

What is the process of proving the derivative of the Airy function?

The process of proving the derivative of the Airy function involves using mathematical techniques, such as the chain rule and integration by parts, to manipulate the original expression and simplify it into a form that is easier to differentiate. This process may also involve using properties of the Airy function, such as its recurrence relation, to simplify the expression.

What are some challenges in proving the derivative of the Airy function?

One of the main challenges in proving the derivative of the Airy function is dealing with the complex nature of the function itself. The Airy function has both real and imaginary components, which can make it difficult to manipulate and differentiate. Another challenge is finding the most efficient and elegant way to prove the derivative, as there may be multiple approaches to solving the problem.

What are some applications of the Airy function in science and engineering?

The Airy function has a wide range of applications in science and engineering. It is used in optics to describe the diffraction of light, in fluid mechanics to model the flow of fluids, and in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a potential well. It is also used in various fields of engineering, such as signal processing, image processing, and control systems.