The terms function and map .

In summary, the terms "function" and "map" are often used interchangeably, but "map" may also refer to a specific type of function in certain contexts. The choice of term is typically based on the preference of the author and does not affect the definition of the function.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The terms "function" and "map".

I have noticed that the term "map" is used more often than "function" when a map/function is defined using the "mapsto" arrow, as in "the map [itex]x\mapsto x^2[/itex] ". It has occurred to me that when a function is defined this way, it's usually not clear what the codomain is. So I'm wondering if the choice of the word "map" has something to do with this. Is it common to define "map" differently than "function"? (One way to do it would be to use the term "function" only for the first kind of function below, and "map" only for the second kind).

These are two standard definitions of "function".

Option 1:

Suppose that [itex]g\subset X\times Y[/itex] and that [itex]f=(X,Y,g)[/itex]. f is said to be a function from X into Y if

(a) [itex]x\in X\Rightarrow \exists y\in Y\ (x,y)\in g[/itex]
(b) [itex](x,y)\in g\ \land\ (x,z)\in g \Rightarrow y=z[/itex].

Option 2:

Suppose that [itex]g\subset X\times Y[/itex] and that [itex]f=(X,Y,g)[/itex]. g is said to be a function from X into Y if

(a) [itex]x\in X\Rightarrow \exists y\in Y\ (x,y)\in g[/itex]
(b) [itex](x,y)\in g\ \land\ (x,z)\in g \Rightarrow y=z[/itex].

Note that when the definitions are expressed this way, they only differ by one character.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

The difference between the two definitions is whether f or g is called the function? That doesn't seem to be a very productive difference to me.

An example of a "proper" way to denote a function using the mapsto arrow[tex]f:X\to Y[/tex], [tex]x\mapsto f(x)[/tex] where f(x) is your formula of course. Usually your domain and codomain are suppressed because they're obvious from context; this would be no different from just saying "let f(x)=x2" and not saying what the domain/codomain are.

The word map itself means the same thing as function. It's probably used more as you read higher levels of mathematics, and the mapsto arrow is used more at the same time because the standard "f(x)=..." formula is no longer sufficient notation, so it's coincidence more than anything else that you notice the two together

Office_Shredder said:
The word map itself means the same thing as function. It's probably used more as you read higher levels of mathematics, and the mapsto arrow is used more at the same time because the standard "f(x)=..." formula is no longer sufficient notation, so it's coincidence more than anything else that you notice the two together
That's my impression too. The only source I've seen actually claim that "map" and "function" can have different definitions is Wikipedia, and they didn't have a reference for that claim.

The terms "map" and "function" are often synonymous, but sometimes "map" could mean a morphism in some concrete category, such as a group homomorphism (a "map of groups") or a continuous function (a "map of topological spaces"). I know Hatcher explicitly defines a map to be a continuous function. The term "function" alone usually means a map of sets, ignoring any other structure.

That's how I see it, anyway. Which term is used is generally the preference of the author.

However, the use of the term "map" versus "function" can vary depending on the context and the preference of the mathematician or scientist using it. In general, both terms are used to describe a relationship between two sets, with the first set being the domain and the second set being the codomain. The main difference between the two terms is that "function" is typically used in a more formal and mathematical context, while "map" may be used more informally or in a more general sense. Some mathematicians may use one term over the other in certain situations, but ultimately they both refer to the same concept of a relationship between two sets.

1. What is the difference between a function and a map?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two sets of data, where each input has a unique output. A map, also known as a mapping or a transformation, is a set of rules or instructions that define how to transform one set of data into another.

2. Can a function and a map be used interchangeably?

No, a function and a map are not interchangeable. While they both involve transforming data, they serve different purposes and have different properties.

3. How are functions and maps used in scientific research?

Functions and maps are commonly used in scientific research to model and analyze data. They can be used to describe relationships between variables, make predictions, and test hypotheses.

4. Are there any real-world examples of functions and maps?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of functions and maps. One example is a weather forecast, where a map is used to transform data from weather stations into a function that predicts the weather at a specific location.

5. What are some common misconceptions about functions and maps?

One common misconception is that functions and maps are only used in math and computer science. In reality, they have applications in many fields, including biology, economics, and psychology. Another misconception is that functions and maps always have a simple, linear relationship, when in fact they can be complex and nonlinear.