What is the solution for the homogeneous equation (x^2 + y^2)dx + (2xy)dy = 0?

In summary, the teacher gave an answer to (x^2)(y^3) - x - ln(y) = c which uses the method of exact differential equations. However, when I tried to do the same thing using exact differential equations, I got a totally different answer. I think that I need to figure out what h’(x) is.
amb123
(x^2 + y^2)dx + (2xy)dy = 0

I get y = sqrt((kx^5 + x^2)/3) Where k = c2 cubed, and c2 = ln(c) so k = 3ln(c)

But, the answer the teacher gave is (x^2)(y^3) - x - ln(y) = c I can't come up with anything remotely close. I know this isn't in a pretty LaTeX form, but I am new and haven't figured it out yet. Also, I'm not sure how to get my computer to read LaTeX, so if there is a program I need to d/l, can someone link me?

Any help would be great !
A

Physics news on Phys.org
just see the sticky thread on using tex basically you just put tex *forward slash* tex in square brackets around
around equations and use *backward slash* sqrt instead of sqrt

QUOTE -
[tex] x [\tex]
[tex] (x^2 + y^2)dx + (2xy)dy = 0 [/tex]

I get [tex] y = \sqrt((kx^5 + x^2)/3) [/tex] Where k = c2 cubed, and c2 = ln(c) so k = 3ln(c)

But, the answer the teacher gave is [tex] (x^2)(y^3) - x - ln(y) = c [/tex] I can't come up with anything remotely close.

to answer your question I think it uses the method of exact differential equations just look it up on the web SOS would be a good start. However when I Use exact differential equations I get a totally different answer but it works when I sub things back in.

Last edited:
Thats funny I have not had a problem with latex before. I will insert spaces to show the simple things I sometimes type and it still does not work

[ tex ] x [ /tex ]
[tex] x [/tex]

i get a different answer from both of you

(x^2 + y^2)dx + (2xy)dy = 0
Is an exact homogenous d.e.

So you take the anti-partial derivative in respect to y of your dy term:
xy^2 + h(x).
this is your solution, but you need to figure out what that left over function of x is

to do that you first take the partial of that in respect to x
y^2 + h’(x).

you know this function must be equal to your dx term since the d.e. is exact. So…

y^2 + h’(x) = x^2 + y^2
h’(x) = x^2
anti-differentiate
h(x) = (x^3)/3 + C

so your solution is
xy^2 + (x^3)/3 = C

you have your slashes going the wrong dirrection in the [ \tex ]

That was the answer I got but did not mention. It is right because you can implicitly differentiate and get back to the original differential equation.

I thought you used backslashes in latex but to go into tex mode the standard VB code is to use a forward slash the same way as bold font colour ect.

*tries [ tex ] x [ \tex]*
[tex] x [\tex]
tries [ tex ] x [ /tex ]*
[tex] x [/tex]

The spaces were there so it didn't think I was doing latex and not show you what I was trying to convey. Proper usage is (tex) (\tex) with ] [ instead of ) (

Proper usage is (tex) (\tex) with ] [ instead of ) (

Funny how this thread says otherwise ;)

sorry, guess i got mixed up. But hey atleast i solved the d.e. right... :bugeye:

1. What is a homogeneous equation?

A homogeneous equation is an equation in which all the terms have the same degree. This means that the equation can be rewritten in a way that all the variables have the same power, making it easier to solve.

2. How is a homogeneous equation different from a non-homogeneous equation?

A non-homogeneous equation is one in which the terms have different degrees. This means that the equation cannot be rewritten in a way that all the variables have the same power, making it more difficult to solve.

3. What are some real-life applications of homogeneous equations?

Homogeneous equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model systems that have uniform properties or behaviors. Some examples include the motion of a pendulum, the diffusion of particles in a gas, and the growth of bacterial populations.

4. How do you solve a homogeneous equation?

To solve a homogeneous equation, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equation to reduce it to a simpler form, and then solving for the variables.

5. Can a homogeneous equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a homogeneous equation can have infinitely many solutions. This is because the equation can be satisfied by any values that make all the terms equal 0. However, the number of solutions may be limited by any additional constraints or conditions in the problem.