High Current Switch Solution for Hobbiest

In summary: DC power supplies without damaging the switch itself. He has considered using a solenoid, but is unsure if it is the best solution. He is seeking advice from experts on how to handle the high currents involved in this task. In summary, Fishybob is seeking advice on how to safely switch between two high-power DC power supplies without damaging the switch.
babyd3k
Hobbiest here trying to make a rotary switching system to switch between a 1000w DC power supply and an external DC supply of the same input plus an all turned off position. The first power supply is running at 12 vDC and the 2nd input could be anything from 8-36 vDC. I can find rotary switches that have the positions and layouts I want but nothing that can handle the loads I would put the switch under.

I guess my question is what would a real engineer do, I was thinking of putting a solenoid in but I don't have any experience with then so before I bit off more then I could chew I thought I'd come ask the experts.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
babyd3k,

Welcome to PF!

1000W @ 12Vdc is 83A! Switching 83A is a non-trivial feat! 83A is in the welding range of currents, and needs special attention. There are relays capable of handling these kinds of currents, but they are expensive, very expensive. There are semiconductors capable of handling this amount of current, but the design criteria are difficult at best. I would seriously consider finding a solution that does not involve switching 83A under load. If you are simply interested in switching between power supplies when they are NOT under load the problem becomes much easier. A simple double pole double throw knife switch will do the job.

Fish

What is a high current switch solution?

A high current switch solution is a circuit or device that allows for the control of high levels of electrical current. It is often used in hobbyist projects to turn on and off motors, lights, and other high-powered components.

Why would a hobbyist need a high current switch solution?

Hobbyists often work with projects that require the use of high-powered components, such as motors or lights. A high current switch solution allows them to easily control these components and turn them on and off as needed.

What are the benefits of using a high current switch solution?

Some of the benefits of using a high current switch solution include the ability to control high levels of current, the convenience of being able to turn components on and off at the push of a button, and the safety of not having to manually handle high-powered components.

What types of high current switch solutions are available for hobbyists?

There are a variety of high current switch solutions available for hobbyists, including mechanical relays, solid state relays, and transistor-based switches. Each type has its own advantages and may be better suited for different types of projects.

How can a hobbyist choose the right high current switch solution for their project?

The right high current switch solution will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the project. Factors to consider when choosing a solution include the voltage and current requirements, the type of components being controlled, and the desired level of control and convenience.