PARI/GP or comparable number theory program?

In summary, the individual is looking for a version of PARI or PARI/GP, or a similar number theory program, that is compatible with their MacBook Pro. They are open to using an emulator or finding a newer and better software for testing out complex functions. Some suggestions include ARIBAS, which can be downloaded from a Wikipedia page or a university website, and Sage, a free symbolic algebra system that incorporates PARI-GP. Alternatively, the individual can download PARI-GP directly, but the installation process may be difficult.
DirichletHole
i'm trying to find a version of PARI or PARI/GP or a comparable number theory program that will run on my MacBook Pro.
if anyone knows of a site with an updated version or an emulator that will get older versions of PARI working on my computer or newer and better software for testing out long complex functions that generate very large numbers please let me know

Physics news on Phys.org
Pari-GP is now a 'package' that has been incorporated into Sage, a free symbolic algebra system. See sagemath.org

Alternatively, Pari GP is still available for download and will work on your MacBook Pro. The installation is a bit fiddly though.

I'd say Sage is probably better, since it's newer, has a GUI, and contains more than just PARI/GP. But if you really want PARI/GP, you probably can just build it from source. Have you tried building it yourself?

Extract http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/pub/pari/unix/pari-2.5.1.tar.gz in a folder and run:
Code:
$ cd [folder]
$ ./Configure
$ make
# make install

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand the importance of having access to reliable and up-to-date software for conducting research in number theory. PARI/GP is a widely used program in this field and it is understandable that you are looking for an updated version to run on your MacBook Pro.

One option you could consider is downloading the latest version of PARI/GP from its official website. The developers regularly release updates and bug fixes, so it is important to ensure that you have the most recent version. You can also check if there are any compatibility issues with your MacBook Pro and the program.

If you are unable to find an updated version of PARI/GP that runs on your computer, you could explore other number theory programs that are compatible with your MacBook Pro. There are several options available, such as SageMath, Mathematica, and Maple, which offer similar functionalities to PARI/GP. These programs are regularly updated and have a user-friendly interface, making them suitable for complex calculations and generating large numbers.

Additionally, there are online resources and forums where you can seek advice from other researchers and experts in the field of number theory. They may be able to provide recommendations for programs that have been successfully used on a MacBook Pro.

In conclusion, while PARI/GP is a popular choice for number theory research, there are other programs available that may be suitable for your needs. I would suggest exploring different options and considering factors such as compatibility, functionality, and user-friendliness before making a decision. I wish you all the best in your research endeavors.

What is PARI/GP?

PARI/GP is a computer algebra system designed for number theory computations. It is widely used in research and education for its efficient algorithms and powerful tools for working with integers, polynomials, and matrices.

What are the main features of PARI/GP?

PARI/GP offers a wide range of features for number theory, including primality testing, factorization, elliptic curve operations, and modular arithmetic. It also has tools for manipulating polynomials, computing with algebraic number fields, and performing linear algebra operations.

Is PARI/GP free to use?

Yes, PARI/GP is open-source software and is free to use for personal, academic, and commercial purposes. It is distributed under the GNU General Public License.

Can PARI/GP handle large numbers?

Yes, PARI/GP is designed to handle large numbers efficiently. It has built-in support for arbitrary precision arithmetic, allowing for computations with numbers of any size.

Is PARI/GP suitable for beginners in number theory?

PARI/GP can be used by beginners in number theory, but some prior knowledge of the subject is recommended. It has a user-friendly interface and extensive documentation, but a basic understanding of number theory concepts and programming is helpful for utilizing its full capabilities.