of which i thought was an ellastic collision problem

• Thread starter rottenapple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary: If energy lost or gained is negligible, you can use only law of conservation of momentum. In both elastic and inelastic collision, you may use both law of conservation of momentum and law of conservation of energy. In summary, both laws can be used for elastic collision, but only law of conservation of momentum can be used for inelastic collision.
rottenapple

Homework Statement

Ball A moving at 12m/s collides elastically with ball B as shown. If both balls have the same mass, what is the final velocity of ball A? ***theta = 60***

Homework Equations

Ui + Ki = Uf + Kf

The Attempt at a Solution

I could only think of the above equation when I read elastic collision. However, the solution in the back of the book suggested using conservation of momentum, which I thought is only applicable to inelastic collision. The numerical answer is 6m/s which can be figure out using mv = mv and breaking it down to x and y components.
I can see how they get to the numerical answer but I am lost as to why? Can someone please explain why I would use the formula for conservation of momentum? And also, I'm at a complete loss on how to approach a problem like this so can you also explain what I would need to solve the problem if it is an elastic collision?

Thank you!

Attachments

• figure1.doc
    24 KB · Views: 266
Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum applies to all collisions. Conservation of energy applies to only elastic collisions.

So in summary,
Elastic:
[tex]K_i + U_i = K_f + U_f[/tex]
[tex]\vec{p}_i = \vec{p}_f[/tex]

Inelastic:
[tex]\vec{p}_i = \vec{p}_f[/tex] only

The forces due to the collision among particles(interior forces) are always larger than exterior forces, and they are so large that we can always omit the exterior forces. According to Newton's second law, F=d(mv)/dt, if F(exterior force) is zero , mv(momentum) must be a constant, i.e. momentum is conservertive. So the conservertion of momentum on collision is always valid.

rottenapple said:

Homework Statement

Ball A moving at 12m/s collides elastically with ball B as shown. If both balls have the same mass, what is the final velocity of ball A? ***theta = 60***

Homework Equations

Ui + Ki = Uf + Kf

The Attempt at a Solution

I could only think of the above equation when I read elastic collision. However, the solution in the back of the book suggested using conservation of momentum, which I thought is only applicable to inelastic collision. The numerical answer is 6m/s which can be figure out using mv = mv and breaking it down to x and y components.
I can see how they get to the numerical answer but I am lost as to why? Can someone please explain why I would use the formula for conservation of momentum? And also, I'm at a complete loss on how to approach a problem like this so can you also explain what I would need to solve the problem if it is an elastic collision?

Thank you!

For elastic collision, you may use both law of conservation of momentum and law of conservation of energy.
Ui + Ki = Uf + Kf

For inelastion collision , you can use only law of conservation of momentum. In inelastic collision , energy lost or gained. If you want to use law of conservation of energy,
Ui + Ki= Uf + Kf +energy lost

I would like to explain the reasoning behind using conservation of momentum in this problem. The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system (where no external forces act upon the system) remains constant. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, which means that the total momentum of the system must also be conserved.

In this problem, we have two balls colliding with each other, and no external forces are acting on the system. Therefore, we can use the conservation of momentum to solve for the final velocity of ball A. We know that both balls have the same mass, so we can simplify the equation to:

m*vA + m*vB = m*vA' + m*vB'

Where vA and vB are the initial velocities of balls A and B, and vA' and vB' are their final velocities.

Since the problem provides us with the value of theta, we can use trigonometry to break down the velocities into their x and y components. This will give us two equations:

m*vA*cos(60) + m*vB*cos(0) = m*vA'*cos(30) + m*vB'*cos(90)

m*vA*sin(60) + m*vB*sin(0) = m*vA'*sin(30) + m*vB'*sin(90)

Simplifying these equations, we get:

0.5*m*vA + m*vB = 0.5*m*vA' + m*vB'

0.87*m*vA = 0.5*m*vA' + m*vB'

We can now solve for vA' by substituting the value of vB' from the first equation into the second equation:

0.87*m*vA = 0.5*m*vA' + 0.5*m*vA

Solving for vA', we get:

vA' = 0.87*vA

Since vA = 12m/s, the final velocity of ball A is vA' = 0.87*12 = 10.44m/s, which is approximately 10.4m/s.

In summary, we used the conservation of momentum to solve for the final velocity of ball A in this elastic collision problem. It is important to understand the fundamental principles behind the equations we use in physics

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects involved before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. How is the velocity of objects in an elastic collision calculated?

The velocity of objects in an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision.

3. What are some examples of elastic collisions?

Some examples of elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two bumper cars colliding, and two toy cars colliding. These collisions exhibit no loss of kinetic energy and the objects rebound with their original velocities.

4. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the objects rebound with their original velocities. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and the objects do not rebound with their original velocities.

5. How do elastic collisions relate to real-world situations?

Elastic collisions are idealized situations that do not occur in the real world. However, they are used in physics to explain and understand the behavior of objects in collisions. In real-world situations, there is always some loss of kinetic energy due to factors such as friction and deformation of objects.