Where to "restart" my math education

In summary: It will give you structure and it will allow you to have a broad range of courses.In summary, Walter has always had a love for taking things apart and putting them back together, leading to a passion for cars. However, after eight years as an automotive technician, he has become bored with the job and wants to pursue a career in engineering. His weak math skills are holding him back and he is seeking advice on where to start. Some suggestions include using resources such as Khanacademy and the MathIsPower4U website, as well as enrolling in a community college. Additionally, he is advised to work through math books and do exercises to improve his skills.
Lowfrequency
Hi, my name is Walter

ill try to keep my background brief so as to not bore you with a wall of text, by all means this is NOT a sob story.

I never applied myself in school, I did enough to get by as a low B, C student. I uncovered a passion for cars by fixing them myself, I had no money and neither did my parents so I was forced to fix it myself or let my car run itself into the ground.
but before all of this, as long as my mother can recall I have always had a "thing" for taking things apart and putting them back together. Sometimes they would work, more often then not they wouldn't but I always continued to do this up to this day (now with a greater success at having my dismantled projects work!).

I have reached a point in my 8 year career as an automotive technician where it all seems boring to me, nothing peaks my interest. I am considered a "B" level technician, I trouble shoot check engine lights, noise, vibration concerns, do regular maintenance. every day my job begins with an oil change and tire rotation, if my recommendations get approved ill wind up doing work such as timing belt, water pumps, down to brake jobs.
its all monotonous to me, it no longer hold my attention, it feels like another day a McDonalds to me.

I want to pursue an engineering career, I am leaning towards mechanical, I like user experience, and practicality of items, I break them down and find out why I like the way a button configuration is made on a steering wheel or how my Wii U has the ability to transfer game information to its mobile touch pad so I can walk around the house and play a game on my down time.
My math is atrocious, I would say I am struggling in geometry. its depressing to me that a 27 year old has this level of math knowledge.

Where do I begin? do you any of you have good resources I can turn to? the amount of information out there is overwhelming and its hard to know where to start.
any help would be wonderful, than you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd try Khan's Academy and start with algebra then geometry ... calculus. This wold get you ready for a community college.

Alternatively, you could look at the MathIsPower4U website and follow a similar tack. The videos were produced by a community college professor and are very understandable.

You'll need discipline and persistence to get through them all.

(http://mathispower4u.yolasite.com/)

You best bet though is to sign-up and go to a community college and use the videos on the side taking one course at a time.

jedishrfu said:
I'd try Khan's Academy and start with algebra then geometry ... calculus. This wold get you ready for a community college.

Alternatively, you could look at the MathIsPower4U website and follow a similar tack. The videos were produced by a community college professor and are very understandable.

You'll need discipline and persistence to get through them all.

(http://mathispower4u.yolasite.com/)

You best bet though is to sign-up and go to a community college and use the videos on the side taking one course at a time.

Thank you for the reply, I will begin with khanacademy

Lowfrequency said:
Thank you for the reply, I will begin with khanacademy

Jedi's suggestions are very good (as always). But don't think that Khanacademy alone will get you the knowledge you want to get. Sure, it's an extremely good start and I highly recommend it. But you should definitely also get some math books and work through them. I think that the following book is very good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817636773/?tag=pfamazon01-20 It starts off quite easy and it gives tons and tons of motivation for everything we do. If you have some discipline then I'm sure you can get through this book.

Also, the only way to grasp math is to do exercises. There's no way around it. You'll need to do tons and tons of exercises. Many of the exercises will seem very repetitive too (which is not a bad thing: it is in order to make these things second nature and to allow you to recognize patterns). Just reading a book and watch you videos will not be enough. I would get a book like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071635394/?tag=pfamazon01-20 or
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071611630/?tag=pfamazon01-20
and work through every problem. Even if the problem is solved within the book, don't look at the solution and try it yourself (until you really don't find it, then you can look at the first line, but don't look too quickly).

Also, enrolling in a community college is probably the best thing you can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear Walter,

First of all, congratulations on recognizing your passion for engineering and wanting to pursue it. It takes a lot of self-awareness and courage to make a career change, and we commend you for that.

As for restarting your math education, the first step would be to assess where you are currently at in terms of your math skills. This could involve taking a placement test or working through some practice problems to identify your strengths and weaknesses.

Once you have a clear understanding of your current math level, you can then start building your foundation. This could involve enrolling in a math course at a local community college or seeking out online resources such as Khan Academy or Coursera.

It's also important to find a study method that works best for you. Some people learn better through hands-on activities, while others prefer visual aids or practice problems. Experiment with different study methods to find what works best for you.

Don't be discouraged by your age or current level of knowledge. It's never too late to learn and improve your skills. With dedication, hard work, and the right resources, you can achieve your goals.

Lastly, don't hesitate to reach out for help. Whether it's seeking out a tutor or joining a study group, having a support system can make a big difference in your learning journey.

Best of luck in your pursuit of engineering. We believe in you and know that you have the potential to succeed. Keep pushing forward and never give up on your dreams.

Related to Where to "restart" my math education

1. Where should I begin if I want to restart my math education?

If you are looking to restart your math education, the best place to begin is by assessing your current knowledge and skills. Take a diagnostic test or talk to a math teacher to determine where your strengths and weaknesses lie.

2. Is it necessary to start from the very beginning?

No, it is not necessary to start from the very beginning. It is important to identify the areas in which you need the most improvement and focus on those topics. You may need to review some basic concepts, but you can also skip ahead to more advanced topics if you feel comfortable with the basics.

3. What resources are available for restarting my math education?

There are many resources available for restarting your math education. You can find online tutorials, practice problems, textbooks, and even free courses offered by universities or educational websites. It is important to find a resource that fits your learning style and pace.

4. How often should I practice to effectively restart my math education?

The frequency of your practice depends on your personal learning style and schedule. It is recommended to practice math problems at least 3-4 times a week for at least 30 minutes each session. Consistency is key when restarting your math education.

5. Can I restart my math education on my own or do I need a tutor?

You can restart your math education on your own, but having a tutor can be very beneficial. A tutor can provide personalized instruction, help you identify and correct mistakes, and offer additional resources and practice problems. However, if you are self-motivated and can stay on track with your studies, you can restart your math education on your own.