Register to reply

I'm pretty sure these molecules are polar

by aclark609
Tags: molecules, polar, pretty
Share this thread:
aclark609
Aug29-13, 03:08 PM
P: 35
Are there not dipole-dipole interactions between CHBr3, CH3Br, CH3Cl, and CHCl3? Assume they are all separate pure substances. My professor today said that the only intermolecular forces present were dispersion forces. Are the dipole attractions negligible due to fact they are too weak?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists create nanofibers using unprecedented new method
Nanostructured metal-oxide catalyst efficiently converts CO2 to methanol (w/ Video)
Researchers discover low-grade nonwoven cotton picks up 50 times own weight of oil
DrClaude
Aug29-13, 03:13 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,325
All these molecules are polar. It's hard for me to see how dipole-dipole interactions would be negligible compared to dispersion forces.
aclark609
Aug29-13, 03:39 PM
P: 35
That's what I thought. I'll approach her with this next class period. I don't see how someone with a doctorate could miss something so obvious. There must be more to it.

chemisttree
Aug29-13, 03:44 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
I'm pretty sure these molecules are polar

There isn't.
janhaa
Aug29-13, 04:35 PM
P: 97
for example chloromethane is non-polar because it's a symmetrical molecule and its dipole moments cancel each other out...
DrClaude
Aug29-13, 04:40 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by janhaa View Post
for example chloromethane is non-polar because it's a symmetrical molecule and its dipole moments cancel each other out...
It has a C3 symmetry axis along the C-Cl bond, but that bond is highly polar. CH3Cl had a dipole moment of 1.9 D.
DrClaude
Aug29-13, 04:45 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by aclark609 View Post
I don't see how someone with a doctorate could miss something so obvious.
I've heard PhDs say pretty stupid things!

Depending on her particular field, this might be a subject she is less comfortable with.

Register to reply