What is the physical meaning of form factor?

In summary: But I'm still not sure if the invariant mass amplitude or invariant amplitude is the same. Can you clarify?I'm sorry that the topic had changed. I didn't ask you about the form factor but I asked you about the invariant mass amplitude or invariant amplitude that we can meet them on the way to find the cross-section,for example, the cross section of e-e+ annihilation and the cross section of mu-decay.The invariant mass amplitude and invariant amplitude are the same. We calculate them on the way to find the cross section. So, how does it relate to mass if both are the same? I am a bit confused.The mass of a particle is not determined
man@SUT
I am a new member of the forum. I don't understand the physical meaning of the form factor. Could you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well there are different area's where the concept of form factor is used. Eg : electronics, PC-engineering and high energy physics. In the latter, the form factor is defined as the Fourier transforms of charge and current distributions. Basically, one could look at the form factor as the strength of an interaction (electrical and magnetic) in the Fourier base. This concept is widely used in effective field theories in which the basic degrees of freedom (like particles for example) are NOT elementary.

marlon

Thank you, Malon. I found this in the cross section of e-e+ to vector meson. Is there another meaning of form factor in high energy physics.

man@SUT said:
Thank you, Malon. I found this in the cross section of e-e+ to vector meson. Is there another meaning of form factor in high energy physics.
Well, i guess there are other ways to look at it but the basic idea will be the "link to strength of interaction". I know there is also a topological explanation where you can plot the form factor as a surface. The deformation of that surface during an interaction gives an idea about what is going on and how strong that interaction is. In QHD (quantum hadro dynamics), this is used very often.

marlon

If you look http://inwpent5.ugent.be/papers/phys_art_0003.pdf you will see a definition of the form factor in QHD, at the end of page 5 and the top of page 6.

This is a paper written by an old fellow student of mine who is doing her PhD at the university of Ghent, Belgium.

regards
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your help, Malon.

regards,
man@SUT

For invariant amplitude and invariant mass amplitude, I think they are the same. We calculate them on the way to find the cross section. So, how does it relate to mass if both are the same? I am a bit confused.

man@SUT said:
For invariant amplitude and invariant mass amplitude, I think they are the same. We calculate them on the way to find the cross section. So, how does it relate to mass if both are the same? I am a bit confused.
Mass ? Keep in mind that mass is not the coupling constant of electromagnetic or (in general) weak interactions. Again, read the definition in the paper, the key notion is the "squared four momentum Q² dependency" .

marlon

Last edited:
I'm sorry that the topic had changed. I didn't ask you about the form factor but I asked you about the invariant mass amplitude or invariant amplitude that we can meet them on the way to find the cross-section,
for example, the cross section of e-e+ annihilation and the cross section of mu-decay.

For the form factor, I think I get more understanding about it.

1. What is a form factor?

A form factor is a mathematical function that describes the spatial distribution of a particle's charge or current. It is used to calculate the strength of interactions between particles.

2. What is the physical meaning of form factor?

The physical meaning of form factor is that it represents the size and shape of a particle, as well as how its charge or current is distributed within that shape. It provides information about the internal structure of a particle.

3. How is form factor measured or calculated?

Form factor is typically measured or calculated through experiments involving particle scattering. The scattering pattern is then analyzed using mathematical models to determine the form factor.

4. What is the significance of form factor in physics?

Form factor is significant in physics because it allows us to understand the internal structure and properties of particles, such as their charge distribution and size. It also helps us to better understand the fundamental forces of nature and the interactions between particles.

5. Can form factor be used to study different types of particles?

Yes, form factor can be used to study a variety of particles, including subatomic particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, as well as larger particles like atoms and molecules. It is a fundamental concept in the study of particle physics and is applicable to many different areas of physics.