Find the Limit of f(x)=cscx as x Approaches x-

• Thread starter uofamath114
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit as x approaches x-(x from the left) of the function cscx is negative infinity, since as x approaches pi from the left, the denominator of the function 1/sinx becomes a very small positive number, causing the overall function to approach negative infinity.
uofamath114

Homework Statement

Find the limit as x approaches x-(x from the left) if f(x) = cscx

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I can think of solving this is to convert it to 1/sinx which would have a limit of 0. I'm not sure if that even makes any sense though. Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
x approaches what? No matter what it is, the answer isn't zero.

Sorry the ink was smudged what looked like an x- was actually pi -(pi approaching from the left).

csc(x)=1/sin(x). If x is approaching pi the denominator is going to zero. The 'limit', such as it is, must be some kind of infinity. Which kind?

Since it's approaching from the left I would guess negative infinity, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Hmm. My guess would be different. But then maybe my left is different from your left.

I must be confused then because the way I understood it was a limit where "x-->c-" means that we only consider values less than c. So with the limit x-->(pi)- wouldn't it have to be negative infinity since infinity would be a value greater than pi or is my logic completely wrong.

uofamath114 said:
I must be confused then because the way I understood it was a limit where "x-->c-" means that we only consider values less than c. So with the limit x-->(pi)- wouldn't it have to be negative infinity since infinity would be a value greater than pi or is my logic completely wrong.

Recall that your function is 1/(sin x), so what sign does the denominator have as x approaches pi from lower values?

Would it be negative since it's approaching a positive value from the left?

Negative, in the non-affirmative sense. Think about it!

So would it be a positive value then? That would be the only other option. The reason is why it is positive is what I'm still unsure about.

What's sin(pi-0.00001). Use a calculator please if you can't draw the graph of sin.

I get 0.00001 when I enter sin(pi-0.00001) into my calculator.

Quite reasonable. So what's csc(pi-0.00001) and what happens as x gets even closer to pi?

I get 100000 and it gets progressively larger and larger the closer it comes to pi, so am I correct to assume the limit is infinity?

uofamath114 said:
I get 100000 and it gets progressively larger and larger the closer it comes to pi, so am I correct to assume the limit is infinity?

It gets progressively larger and larger. I don't think you have to assume anything. It's infinity. But do you understand why? sin(pi) is zero and to the left of pi, it's positive. So?

csc is 1/sin, so if sin(pi) is zero a number close to sin(pi) would be a number close zero, so 1/sin(pi) would be 1/(a very small number) and would keep getting larger heading towards infinity. Am I getting close or way off again?

Yes. Except now say if the number is approaching pi- the very small number is also a very small positive number. So you can call the limit +infinity. If it's pi+ then you want to say -infinity.

Alright I think I understand now. Thank you for your help.

FAQ: Find the Limit of f(x)=cscx as x Approaches x-

1. What is the definition of a limit?

The limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a number c is the value that f(x) approaches as x gets closer and closer to c. It is denoted by the symbol lim f(x) = L, where L is the limit.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, plug in values that approach the given value for x. If the function approaches a finite number, that is the limit. If the function approaches infinity, the limit does not exist.

3. What does "cscx" mean in the function f(x)=cscx?

"cscx" stands for the cosecant of x, which is the reciprocal of the sine of x. It can also be written as 1/sinx.

4. How do you evaluate the limit of f(x)=cscx as x approaches x-?

To evaluate the limit of f(x)=cscx as x approaches x-, we need to determine the behavior of the function as x approaches x- from the left side. This can be done by plugging in values that are slightly smaller than x and observing the resulting values of the function. If the values approach a finite number, then that is the limit. If the values approach infinity, the limit does not exist.

5. Can the limit of f(x)=cscx as x approaches x- be equal to zero?

No, the limit of f(x)=cscx as x approaches x- cannot be equal to zero. This is because the cosecant function is undefined at certain values of x, such as when x is equal to 0 or a multiple of π. Therefore, the limit of cscx as x approaches x- will either approach a finite number or it will not exist.