What is true for limit of f (x,y) as (x,y)→(0,1)?

• Thread starter Lord Popo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: So in the end the only thing you can say is that you cannot determine if the limit exists, but if it does, it is equal to 3.In summary, the problem asks for the limit of a function f(x,y) as (x,y) approaches (0,1) from all possible directions. It is given that the limit exists and is equal to 3 along lines of the form y=kx+1, but this does not guarantee that the limit exists for all directions. Therefore, the correct statement is "We cannot determine if the limit exists, but if it does, the limit is 3."
Lord Popo

Homework Statement

Let f be a function from R2 to R. Suppose that f (x, y) → 3 as (x, y) approaches (0,1) along every line of the form y = kx + 1. What can you say about the limit lim(x,y)→(0,1) f (x, y)? Check the box next to the correct statement.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

*The answer to the problem is "We cannot determine if the limit exists, but if t does, the limit is 3." But I really have no idea why, or what I should attempt to solve this. I'd appreciate any help on this, thank you!

Attachments

• examq3.PNG
    examq3.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 309
Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine a door step of height ##3## (shaped like a wedge) with a vertex along ##x=0\,.##

Last edited:
Lord Popo said:

Homework Statement

Let f be a function from R2 to R. Suppose that f (x, y) → 3 as (x, y) approaches (0,1) along every line of the form y = kx + 1. What can you say about the limit lim(x,y)→(0,1) f (x, y)? Check the box next to the correct statement.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

*The answer to the problem is "We cannot determine if the limit exists, but if t does, the limit is 3." But I really have no idea why, or what I should attempt to solve this. I'd appreciate any help on this, thank you!

If you take limits along lines y = 1 + kx you are arriving at limits as you come in straight towards the limit point. What about if you approach (0,1) along a spiral, or along some other more complicated curve?

Likes Delta2
The general guideline for limits like this, is, that if the limit exists it is the same for every particular way that (x,y)->(0,1).In this example you are given that the limit along the lines y=kx+1 exist and it is 3, however this does not guarantee that the limit exists. If we can prove that the limit exists, then as I said before it will be the same for all the possible ways that (x,y)->(0,1) so it will be the same as if (x,y)->(0,1) along the line y=1+kx which gives limit 3.

1. What does the limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approach (0,1) mean?

The limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approach (0,1) refers to the value that f(x,y) approaches as the values of x and y get closer and closer to 0 and 1, respectively.

2. How is the limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approach (0,1) calculated?

The limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approach (0,1) is calculated by evaluating the function at different points approaching (0,1) and observing the trend of the values. If the values approach a specific number, that number is the limit. If the values approach different numbers depending on the direction of approach, the limit does not exist.

3. What does it mean if the limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approach (0,1) does not exist?

If the limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approach (0,1) does not exist, it means that the function does not approach a specific value as (x,y) get closer to (0,1). This could be due to a discontinuity or an asymptote in the function.

4. Can the limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approach (0,1) be different depending on the path of approach?

Yes, the limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approach (0,1) can be different depending on the path of approach. This is known as a multivariate limit and it occurs when the function has different values depending on the direction of approach.

5. How is the limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approach (0,1) used in real-world applications?

The limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approach (0,1) is used in real-world applications to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can also be used to analyze the continuity of a function and to find the rate of change of a function at a given point.