Planetary Axis Stability: Examining the Role of Moons and Other Factors

In summary, there is a common belief that without the Moon, Earth's axis would be unstable due to the gravity of other planets. However, there is no concrete evidence to support this claim. This raises the question of why Venus and Mercury, which do not have moons, have a stable axis. It is possible that other factors, such as the distance from Jupiter and the Sun, contribute to their stability.
iced199
All of you may have heard this. Without the Moon, Earth's axis would fly wildly out of control due to the other planets' gravity. Now, that makes sense, the Moon giving a stabilizing effect. But what confuses me is why Venus and Mercury both have near 0 degrees of tilt. They don't have a moon to stabilize them, so why are their axis' not flailing out of control? Is it something to do with Earth's distance from Jupiter and the Sun? I'd like to hear your ideas on this. Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
All of you may have heard this. Without the Moon, Earth's axis would fly wildly out of control due to the other planets' gravity.

Do you have any references for this claim? That doesn't sound right to me at all.

nicksauce said:
Do you have any references for this claim? That doesn't sound right to me at all.

No, not really. I mean, I have heard it lots of times, just wondering if it was actually true.

...I should really stop believing everything I hear now that you mention it...

1. What is the planetary axis?

The planetary axis is an imaginary line that runs through the center of a planet from its North Pole to its South Pole. It is the axis around which a planet rotates.

2. How does the planetary axis affect the seasons?

The tilt of a planet's axis is responsible for the changing of seasons. When a planet's axis is tilted towards the sun, it receives more direct sunlight and experiences summer. When the axis is tilted away from the sun, it receives less direct sunlight and experiences winter.

3. Is the planetary axis the same for all planets?

No, the planetary axis varies for each planet. For example, the Earth's axis is tilted at an angle of 23.5 degrees, while Uranus has an axis tilted at an angle of 97.8 degrees.

4. Can the planetary axis change over time?

Yes, the planetary axis can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational forces from other planets, changes in the distribution of mass on the planet, and even impacts from large objects.

5. How does the planetary axis impact the length of a day?

The planetary axis does not directly impact the length of a day. However, the tilt of a planet's axis can affect the amount of sunlight received, which can impact the temperature and weather patterns, ultimately affecting the length of a day.