Probably an easy problem for anyone here

• Thread starter Observatoren
  • Start date
In summary, the equation is probably a simple one. The fraction is equal to a fraction, so start by multiplying both sides by the denominators. You can then isolate D^3.
Observatoren
Ill start by appologizing for not using LaTex, but i haven't figured out how it works yet and I am a little bit impatient.
The equation is probably a simple one. I am not very trained in math but happen to have some interest in physics, especially astronomy, and this is used in astronomy but i think this is a better place to ask this question, hope i haven't posted this thread all in the wrong place.

To the question. How do I get from 2GMr/D^3=Gm/r^2 to D=(2M/m)^1/3r
A step by step explanation would be appreciated. And again, excuse me if I am not following the general rules for posting but Ill better myself in the future.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Observatoren said:
How do I get from 2GMr/D^3=Gm/r^2 to D=(2M/m)^1/3r
Since you have a fraction equal to a fraction, why not start by multiplying both sides by the denominators. Then you can isolate D^3.

Example:
[tex]\frac{a}{b} = \frac{c}{d}[/tex]
Multiply both sides by b and then d.

I appreciate your pedagogic approach but would it be rude of me to ask for a step by step explanation?? :s

Observatoren said:
I appreciate your pedagogic approach but would it be rude of me to ask for a step by step explanation?? :s
I showed you the first step. Have you done it?

So what I get would be something like this; (2GMr)2/D^6=(Gm)3/r^6

Right?

You really have to approach me like a child. I have no Uni ed. Just curiosity!

Ooh no I get what you mean now its too late to do this now sorry! You meant multiplying so that I would get rid of the fractions of course! Sorry...

well: 2GMr^3=D^3Gm

Right? Sorry for spamming...

Observatoren said:
So what I get would be something like this; (2GMr)2/D^6=(Gm)3/r^6

Right?
Wrong.

Take the equation, [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{2GMr}{D^3}=\frac{Gm}{r^2}\ \ [/itex] and multiply both sides by D3 and r2.

What do you get ?

Added in Edit:

OK! I see you did get the first step.

Observatoren said:
Ooh no I get what you mean now its too late to do this now sorry! You meant multiplying so that I would get rid of the fractions of course! Sorry...

Right? Sorry for spamming...

You want to solve D.

First solve for D3 .

Observatoren said:

Right?
Exactly!

Now, as SammyS said, since you eventually want to solve for D, first get D^3 by itself. What would you divide both sides by to get D^3 by itself on the right hand side of that equation?

Now i have: 2GMr^3=D^3Gm. Next i subtract G from both sides so i get: 2Mr^3=D^3m

Now i divide both sides with m, which gives: D^3=2Mr^3/m

Now, I am not really sure...but to get rid of the cube of D and r i have to (hope i express this right now, I am from sweden so i have some problem expressing myself mathematicaly) take the cuberoot out of them. But i can't take the cuberoot out of the whole right side. But if i change the value of r by taking the cuberoot out of it the rest of the variables are going to get values that's to high...now I am stuck again...

Observatoren said:
Now i have: 2GMr^3=D^3Gm. Next i subtract G from both sides so i get: 2Mr^3=D^3m

Now i divide both sides with m, which gives: D^3=2Mr^3/m
Good.

Now, I am not really sure...but to get rid of the cube of D and r i have to (hope i express this right now, I am from sweden so i have some problem expressing myself mathematicaly) take the cuberoot out of them.
Right. You need to take the cuberoot of both sides.

But i can't take the cube root out of the whole right side. But if i change the value of r by taking the cuberoot out of it the rest of the variables are going to get values that's to high...now I am stuck again...
You won't be changing the value of r. The cube root of r^3 is just r. What's the cube root of the rest? (Look at what you were trying to show from your first post. You are almost done.)

Normally i would have done this without question. But when i put some hypothetical values for the variables and calculate it like: (2M/m)^1/3r, i get another value than what i get when i just take the cuberoot out of the whole right side as it is (with the same hyp. values). And i know that the right side is supposed to look like it does above but...i don't see how to get there. I mean, what it says above is that i take the cuberoot out of r but raises the rest to one third power. Why? To my knowledge a big cuberoot sign over the whole right side as it is when 2Mr^3/m would be enough...

Observatoren said:

You got the right result, but just be careful. You divide G from both sides, not subtract. G is being multiplied by something, so you can't just subtract it out. But like i said, you got the right result anyway in this case, just be careful in the future.

superdave said:
You got the right result, but just be careful. You divide G from both sides, not subtract. G is being multiplied by something, so you can't just subtract it out. But like i said, you got the right result anyway in this case, just be careful in the future.

Oh right of course thnx!

Observatoren said:
Normally i would have done this without question. But when i put some hypothetical values for the variables and calculate it like: (2M/m)^1/3r, i get another value than what i get when i just take the cuberoot out of the whole right side as it is (with the same hyp. values).
Then you are making a calculation error.

And i know that the right side is supposed to look like it does above but...i don't see how to get there. I mean, what it says above is that i take the cuberoot out of r but raises the rest to one third power. Why? To my knowledge a big cuberoot sign over the whole right side as it is when 2Mr^3/m would be enough...
In case you weren't aware: Raising something to the 1/3 power is how you express taking a cube root.

(a3)1/3 = a

Also: (a*b)1/3 = a1/3*b1/3

It could be that i am not using my scientific calculator. Ill think about this a bit and see if i get it. Your help is very much appreciated my friend! very much indeed. :)

It could be that I am not using my scientific calculator. But ill think about this for a bit and see if i get it. Your help is very much appreciated my friend, very much indeed!

Couldnt feel more welcome :)

Ive thought a little today about (a^3)^1/3=a

When you square something you take a number and multiply itself by itself. When you make a number cubed you multiply the number 3 times...and so on.

But what are you actually doing when you heighted something to a fraction (or rational number). Cause you can't say that you multiply itself by a third of itself, so what is it that you do?

So when you say x3 you are saying "the number you get when x is multiplied by itself 3 times". You got that. So when you say s1/3, you are saying "the number you multiply by itself 3 times to get x".

Think about 27. 273 = 19683. 271/3 = 3. There are 9 "1/3's" in 3, right? 1/3 * 9 = 9/3 = 3. So 39 = 279/3 = 273 = 19683

When i look at x^3 i know that means x*x*x

But i can't know that, for example 27^1/3 means 3*3*3, without knowing that 3 is the cuberoot out of 27. See what i mean? There is now obvious way to do this calculation in your head like with x^3. I want to think of x^1/3 like x times one third of itself. I think the notation is a bit confusing. Cant see the logic :(
A power no matter how big or small indicates that something should be multiplied to me. But i guess that powers and roots are the inverse of each other. Somewhere in the back of my head i think i know that I am ****ing this up more than i should...

Is there a way of finding roots not using a calculator btw??

1. What makes this problem easy for most people?

The problem likely has a straightforward solution that can be easily understood and implemented.

2. Why is this problem labeled as "probably easy"?

The label "probably easy" is used because the problem may have a simple solution, but it is not guaranteed to be easy for everyone.

3. Is this problem only easy for scientists?

No, this problem can be easy for anyone who has the necessary knowledge and skills to understand and solve it.

4. Can this problem be solved by using scientific methods?

It depends on the specific problem. Some problems may require the use of scientific methods, while others may not.

5. Is there a specific approach or strategy to solve this problem?

There may be multiple approaches or strategies to solve this problem, but the most effective one will depend on the specific details of the problem.