How does partial pressure of O2 affect thermal oxidation time for Si?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of thermal oxidation with Si wafers to obtain SiO2 for electric components. The topic of the partial pressure of gases, specifically O2, and its effect on oxidation time is brought up. A link to a paper describing a model for this process is provided, with Figure 8 addressing the question. The original poster thanks the person for the answer and considers the conversation closed.
Talker1500
Hi guys,

I'm trying to use thermal oxidation with Si wafers in order to get SiO2 to use for electric components. I've been trying to find out how the partial pressure of the gases used (O2 in this case, it's a dry oxidation) affect the oxidation time, but I haven't been able to find an answer.

I hope anyone can help me with this little dilema, thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
You must not have tried very hard, I googled "thermal oxidation of silicon" and the first link was to the classic Deal and Grove paper that describes their model. Here is the link. Figure 8 answers your question.

Likes 1 person
I've had that paper for some time but for some reason I overlooked the last part when I read it.Thank you very much for the answer, this thread can be closed now.

1. What is thermal oxidation of Si?

Thermal oxidation of Si, also known as thermal oxidation of silicon, is a process in which silicon is exposed to high temperatures in the presence of oxygen to form a thin layer of silicon dioxide on the surface.

2. What is the purpose of thermal oxidation of Si?

The purpose of thermal oxidation of Si is to create a protective layer of silicon dioxide on the surface of silicon, which can act as a barrier against impurities and prevent electrical leakage.

3. How does thermal oxidation of Si affect the properties of silicon?

Thermal oxidation of Si changes the properties of silicon by altering its surface characteristics, such as increasing its resistance to chemical and electrical attacks, and improving its insulating properties.

4. What are the factors that influence the rate of thermal oxidation of Si?

The rate of thermal oxidation of Si is influenced by several factors, including temperature, oxygen concentration, and the crystal orientation of the silicon surface.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to thermal oxidation of Si?

One limitation of thermal oxidation of Si is that it can introduce defects or impurities in the silicon layer, which can affect the performance of the device. Additionally, the process can also lead to stress or strain on the silicon wafer, which can cause issues during further processing steps.