Proving Log(x) is Continuous

• Thread starter Yagoda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, to prove that f(x) = \log x is continuous on (0, \infty), we can use the definition of continuity and two given facts: (1) f is continuous at x=1, and (2) \log(xy) = \log(x) + \log(y). By substituting x_0 with xy and using the hint given, we can show that for any \epsilon > 0, there exists a \delta > 0 such that if |x - xy| < \delta, then |f(x) - f(xy)| < \epsilon. This proves that f(x) is continuous on (0, \infty), as desired.
Yagoda

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]f(x)=\log x[/itex] is continuous on [itex](0, \infty)[/itex] using that
(1) f is continuous at x=1 and
(2) [itex]\log(xy) = \log(x) + \log(y)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The definition of continuity: for all [itex]\epsilon >0[/itex], there exists a [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that if [itex]|x-x_0| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x) - f(x_0)| < \epsilon[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've figured out how to do this using a more standard epsilon-delta proof, but it doesn't really make use of the two facts.
From what I can tell, it seems like you trying to be able to use the continuity at x=1 to "slide" the continuity down to 0 and up to infinity, but I'm not sure how to do this in a valid way. The only way I've managed to use fact 2 is rewrite things like [itex]\log x = \log(x \times 1) = \log(x)+\log(1) = \log(x)[/itex], which hasn't gotten me very far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try replacing [itex]x_0[/itex] with xy for some y.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Look at ##f(x) - f(x_0)##, this becomes ##log(x) - log(x_0)##.

hint
log(x+h)-log(x)=log(1+h/x)-log(1)

1. What is the definition of continuity for a function?

The definition of continuity for a function is that it is a property that describes the behavior of a function at a particular point. A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

2. How can we prove that log(x) is continuous?

To prove that log(x) is continuous, we can use the definition of continuity and show that the limit of log(x) at a particular point is equal to the value of log(x) at that point. We can also use the properties of logarithms to simplify the limit and show that it is equal to the value of log(x) at that point.

3. What are the properties of logarithms that are useful in proving continuity?

Some useful properties of logarithms in proving continuity are the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. These properties allow us to simplify the limit of log(x) at a particular point and show that it is equal to the value of log(x) at that point.

4. Can we use the definition of continuity to prove log(x) is continuous at every point?

Yes, we can use the definition of continuity to prove that log(x) is continuous at every point. This is because the definition of continuity applies to every point in the domain of the function, and we can use the properties of logarithms to simplify the limit at each point.

5. Are there any special cases where log(x) may not be continuous?

Yes, log(x) may not be continuous at x = 0 because the logarithm function is not defined for x = 0. In this case, we can use the one-sided limit to show that the limit of log(x) as x approaches 0 from the positive side is equal to negative infinity, while the limit from the negative side is equal to positive infinity.