Some of urea in urine breaks down to ammonia

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ammonia
In summary, the conversation discusses the unpleasant smell of old urine and the potential cause being ammonia from the breakdown of urea. The speaker also mentions the added aroma from bacteria and other compounds. They compare it to the aroma of coffee, which is a combination of various compounds.
jackson6612
I'm not a science student. So, please be simple and straightforward.

I remember once I smelled a sample of urine which had been kept there for some days. It smelled so gross that I was going to puke. Someone said that it was because of ammonia which had resulted from break down of urea. I have never smalled pure ammonia, there I can't confirm it. What is your opinion? Please let me know.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Someone was right - ammonia is a product of urea decomposition, and old urine has a distinct ammonia smell.

--

Thanks a lot, Borek.

I have no experience you understand, but I would expect that as well as ammonia which smells bad but in a clean sort of way, after all it is used in household cleaning materials, there is added bouquet produced by compounds made by the bacteria and stuff that has grown in it. Not necessarily a lot of it. There might be more ammonia, but the aroma could be more due to minor constituents.

Like, according to my memory (I have no knowledge you understand) the major constituents of coffee aroma are acetone and methyl ethyl ketone but coffee does not smell much like them, there is a ripe old mixture of stuff, see e.g. http://www.coffeeresearch.org/science/aromamain.htm

Yes, it is true that some of the urea in urine can break down into ammonia. This process is called urea hydrolysis and it occurs naturally in the body. Ammonia has a strong odor and can make the urine smell unpleasant. However, the concentration of ammonia in urine is usually very low, so the urine should not have a strong ammonia smell unless it has been sitting for a while. I hope this helps clarify things for you.

What is urea and why is it important in urine?

Urea is a waste product that is formed in the liver from the breakdown of proteins. It is important in urine because it helps to remove excess nitrogen from the body.

How does urea break down to ammonia in urine?

Urea is broken down to ammonia through a process called hydrolysis, where water is added to the urea molecule, causing it to break apart and form ammonia and carbon dioxide.

Is ammonia harmful in urine?

Yes, high levels of ammonia in urine can be harmful to the body. Ammonia is a toxic substance that can irritate the urinary tract and cause damage to the kidneys.

What factors can affect the breakdown of urea to ammonia in urine?

The breakdown of urea to ammonia can be affected by several factors such as pH levels, temperature, and the presence of certain enzymes.

Can the breakdown of urea to ammonia be prevented or controlled?

Yes, the breakdown of urea to ammonia can be prevented or controlled by maintaining a healthy diet and staying hydrated. Certain medications may also help to reduce ammonia levels in urine.