Existence and Uniqueness Criteria for Solving Initial Value Problems

In summary, the problem is asking for the region D in the x-y plane where the equation 2x+4y+(4x-2y)(dy/dx)=0 has a unique solution. The solution is found by proving exactness through the continuity condition and rewriting the equation as a total differential. The initial condition (x0,y0) can be any point within the domain D, which can be determined by finding where the equation is valid.
helpinghand
Using the existence and uniqueness criteria, give the region (call it D) in the x-y plane consisting of all points (xo, yo) such that there is a unique solution. Choose a point in D as your initial condition, show that the equation is exact, then use the fact to solve the associated initial value problem.

2x+4y+(4x-2y)(dy/dx)=0, y(xo)=yo

I know how to solve of exactness, by proving that (dP/dy)=(dQ/dx), but what I don't quite get is how do I figure out what the initial value is, do I just let the inital values of x and y be just some random value and prove for uniqueness or is there a way that I can find what the initial values are?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know you've already "solved" that part, but personally I don't like thinking of exactness in terms of "P's" and "Q's", unless those things have been carefully defined.

What you're really trying to do w/ exactness suppose you have a solution to the D.E. given by:

[tex]u(x,y) = c[/tex]

Then you must have that:

[tex]du = 0[/tex]

as the differential equation for which u is the solution (i.e., primitive). But we can write:

[tex]du = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}dy = 0[/tex]

Taking

[tex]P(x,y) = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex]

[tex]Q(x,y) = \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex]

we have your condition for exactness, which follows from the continuity condition:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x\partial y} = \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial y\partial x}[/tex]

Which is a long-winded way of saying something you already know, but I think it's important to understand the reasons why we want exactness, and what it means, rather than just memorizing rote formulas w/ Ps and Qs in them.

Rewriting your equation as a total differential, we have:

[tex](4y + 2x) dx + (4x- 2y) dy = 0[/tex]

So yes, clearly the equation is exact.

In answer to your (real) question, I think the problem is just asking you to find the domain on which this equation has a solution (is it the whole real plane R^2? ... not all equations have solutions at all points in the real plane). At any rate, find out the domain in which the equation is valid (it could be the whole real plane), then pick any point in that domain, and solve the associated IVP.

I think that's what the question is asking.

thanks psholtz for the help... The Q makes more sense now.

I am confused as to how you find the domain to which the equation has a solution and then how to determine an appropriate point to solve the IVP...

What is meant by "existence and uniqueness" in the context of science?

"Existence and uniqueness" refers to the fundamental concept in science that states that every phenomenon or object in the universe exists and has a unique set of characteristics or properties. It is the basis for understanding and explaining the world around us.

Why is it important to consider existence and uniqueness in scientific research?

Considering existence and uniqueness is crucial in scientific research because it allows us to accurately and reliably describe and understand natural phenomena. It also ensures that our findings are consistent and can be replicated by others, leading to a more robust and reliable body of scientific knowledge.

What factors contribute to the existence and uniqueness of a particular phenomenon?

The existence and uniqueness of a phenomenon are influenced by a variety of factors, including the laws of nature, initial conditions, and external influences. These factors interact to determine the specific characteristics and properties of a given phenomenon.

Can two different phenomena have the same set of properties, and if so, how do we determine their uniqueness?

While two different phenomena may have similar properties, they are still considered unique if they differ in at least one characteristic. Scientists use various methods, such as statistical analysis and experimental testing, to determine the uniqueness of a phenomenon and distinguish it from others.

How does the concept of existence and uniqueness apply to the search for extraterrestrial life?

In the search for extraterrestrial life, the concept of existence and uniqueness is crucial in determining whether a potential discovery is a true representation of life or a false positive. Scientists must consider the unique characteristics and properties of life on Earth and apply them to potential life forms on other planets to determine their existence and uniqueness.