Difference between diffraction and prism

In summary: The prism bends all the light so "the place where the white light lands" would be black. The grating passes white light straight through to the bright central maximum, so "the place where the white light lands" would be white.
splinn

Homework Statement

How to make difference between the light that has traveled through a prism and the light that has traveled through a diffraction grating when only place that is visible to the viewer is the place where the white light lands?

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, but i have no idea how to make a difference

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Is that the exact wording of the question? The phrase "make a difference" is not at all clear. Nor is "the place where the white light lands". Is it a translation from another language?

If I had to answer it as it stands I would say that the prism bends all the light so "the place where the white light lands" would be black. The grating passes white light straight through to the bright central maximum, so "the place where the white light lands" would be white.

I guess splinn is referring to the differences in the white light spectra produced by a prism and a grating.splinn,I suggest that firstly you make an attempt by doing some research and then report back here if you need extra help.

Yes it is translated from another language. As i come to think about it, it's kind of confusing to myself too what exactly the asker ment by this question. In my Physics exam professor gives me a random subject and I have to demonstrate my skills to discuss physically correct on this subject. One of those questions is this.

Delphi51-s answer might be correct.

Dadface, suppose the professor ment that i have to write what is different of the white light from prism and from grating by only seeing that white part of light. Is there a way to make a difference?

Splinn,you have yet to show us any attempt at a solution.What do you know so far?

1. What is the difference between diffraction and prism?

Diffraction and prism are both phenomena related to the bending of light, but they occur in different ways. Diffraction is the bending of light as it passes through a narrow opening or around an obstacle, while prism is the splitting of light into its component colors as it passes through a triangular-shaped medium.

2. How is diffraction different from refraction?

Diffraction and refraction are both ways in which light can change direction, but they occur for different reasons. Diffraction is caused by the interference of light waves, while refraction is caused by the change in speed and direction of light as it passes through different mediums.

3. Can a prism produce diffraction?

Yes, a prism can produce both diffraction and refraction. When light enters a prism, it is refracted and its different colors are separated due to their different wavelengths. At the same time, the light waves can also diffract as they pass through the edges of the prism.

4. How is diffraction used in everyday life?

Diffraction is used in many everyday applications, such as in CD and DVD players, where the small grooves on the disc cause diffraction of the laser beam, allowing it to read the data. Diffraction is also used in the construction of diffraction gratings, which are used in spectrometers to analyze the different wavelengths of light.

5. Why do we see rainbows when light passes through a prism?

When white light enters a prism, its different colors (wavelengths) are refracted at different angles, causing them to separate. This is because each color has a different index of refraction. Our eyes perceive this separation as a rainbow of colors. This is also why we see rainbows in the sky when sunlight passes through water droplets in the air, acting as a natural prism.