How to make a raincloud disappear ?

• Thread starter Ylle
  • Start date
In summary: Mostly they stopped doing it because they didn't have the money. Seems like they have been using it more recently though.
Ylle
Hi !

I've heard about a concert, I think, where it started to rain pretty much. Then the band, had a chopper or some kind of plane to throw something on top of the clouds over the concert place, to make the clouds disappear. But I don't know what. So my question is: What can you throw on top of rainclouds to make them disappear? I've heard something about dry ice should do the trick, but can that be true?

Thank you.
- Ylle

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You may be referring to 'cloud seeding' in which mineral crystals (e.g. AgI, silver iodide) are dropped into clouds in order to nucleate rain drops and induce preciptiation.

Perhaps dry ice was used to cool the cloud, which would have the effect of condensing the water vapor.

Here - this company does exactly the above.

http://www.weathermod.com/services/cloud_seed/concepts.php

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the concert controlling its own weather, that sounds pretty far-fetched. They would be billionaires if they could stop rain on demand.

Storms are broke up here all the time by planes. China kept it from raining at the Olympics also. So yes the concert did Weather modification. It's called rain supression.

Russia is (or at least was in times of Soviet Union) known for keeping sky in Moscow clear during special events.

They can try to make it rain (cloud seeding) using silver iodide or dry ice. Maybe making it rain the day before an event its possible to reduce the probabilities of rain during the event. I heard that they did this for Beijing Olympiads.

As for Russia, I remember reading about the attempt at snow control this winter. For some reason I had thought that it was attempted and failed. I can't find anything that said they actually tried it though. However, it does seem they have used it to prevent rain and snow in the past.
"It is stupid to say that there won't be any snow in Moscow. If there is some five centimetres of it, it's absolutely fine, but there is a limit when all the transport just stops," he said, adding that the aim of winter cloud-seeding would not be to get rid of snow, but to control its level, not letting it go over this maximum limit.

The planes will be out only occasionally, said Mr Stasenko, to prevent major snowfall that happens on average three or four times a month. Thus it will cost a lot less than using snowploughs that are out most days of the winter.

"Besides, the idea didn't come to the Moscow mayor from nowhere, it is based on facts. In the early 1980s, back in the Soviet period, there was a special service to limit snowfall over Moscow. It stopped working during perestroika [Gorbachev's reforms], when money became scarce," Mr Stasenko said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8587725.stm
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100114/157543348.html

Early eighties will fit things I remember.

1. How does a raincloud form?

A raincloud forms when water vapor in the air condenses and forms tiny droplets of liquid water, which then grow into larger droplets and eventually fall as rain.

2. Why do we want to make a raincloud disappear?

There are various reasons why we may want to make a raincloud disappear, such as avoiding a storm or preventing damage to crops or buildings.

3. Can we actually make a raincloud disappear?

No, we cannot make a raincloud disappear completely. However, we can sometimes reduce the amount of rain that falls from a cloud through methods such as cloud seeding or using weather modification technologies.

4. How does cloud seeding work?

Cloud seeding is a process where particles, such as silver iodide or dry ice, are dispersed into a cloud to encourage the formation of ice crystals. These ice crystals can then grow and fall as rain, potentially reducing the amount of water in the cloud and causing it to dissipate.

5. Is it ethical to manipulate the weather?

This is a complex question and depends on various factors, such as the intention and potential consequences of the weather manipulation. Some argue that it is necessary for certain purposes, such as preventing droughts or floods, while others believe it could have negative impacts on the environment. It is an ongoing debate in the scientific and ethical communities.