Front Landing Gear Grinds Off - Everyone Safe

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary, a news station employee was on a flight that landed sideways. The front landing gear got stuck facing sideways so the tires couldn't roll, and the plane went fast enough to just gently grind the front wheel down. Luckily, the passengers were able to safely land the plane.
It is not a matter of the actual attachment, but rather having the structure capable of sustaining a tremendous amount of force, starting at where the hook is connected to the aircraft. Also this would likely require a stronger nose wheel to absorb much of the force that will also be seen there as well.

This isn't something than can be modified to an airframe. Boeing, Airbus or whoever would have to build an entirely new design to incorporate this idea. I am sure it has been explored, but it just isn't worth it/necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
sean1234 said:
It is not a matter of the actual attachment, but rather having the structure capable of sustaining a tremendous amount of force, starting at where the hook is connected to the aircraft. Also this would likely require a stronger nose wheel to absorb much of the force that will also be seen there as well.

I don't see the problem at all...the arrested landing would be a one time only deal. It would be something to be used in emergencies where the other options lead to a greater risk of death and personal injury.

Townsend said:
I don't see the problem at all...the arrested landing would be a one time only deal. It would be something to be used in emergencies where the other options lead to a greater risk of death and personal injury.
I think sean's point is that if the frame isn't rebuilt more strongly then the gear may not work at all.

P.S. By the same logic, each airplane can be equipped with an iron achor that will be thrown out of the exit door while the other end will be tightly held by the crew. Much less expensive, yet it could work as good as any other bandaid solution.

Last edited:
Another excelent European product saves the day :-) *hopes the axel was made in the EU*

I've never heard of a landing gear screw up where stopping the plane was the issue.