Hooke's Law and differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a second order differential equation and its general solution, which involves a linear combination of cosine and sine functions. The method of using complex exponentials to obtain the general solution is also mentioned. The conversation concludes by suggesting that a full solution should not be given and that understanding the question is more important than knowing the method.
Gyroscope

Homework Statement

[tex]-kx=m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]

I don't know how to solve differential equations, can someone show me how to do it, with this example.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an example of a second order differential equation; let's rewrite it as [tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+\frac{k}{m}x=0[/tex] This will have a general solution of the form x=Aeat. Plug this into the equation and we obtain the equation a2+k/m=0, which gives us the values for a; namely [itex]a=\pm \sqrt{-\frac{k}{m}}=\pm i\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]. Letting [itex]\sqrt{k/m}=\omega[/itex] we obtain [itex]x(t)=Ae^{i\omega t}+Be^{-i\omega t}[/itex]. Now, recognising that this is the form of a sum of cosine and sine functions, we obtain the general solution [itex]x(t)=C\cos(\omega t)+D\sin(\omega t)[/itex]

I hope you follow that; however, if you have not studied differential equations, then I would suggest first learning about first order differential equations, and then moving onto second order equations (although, I suspect you want this solution for a specific purpose).

[edit: I didn't notice that this was in the homework forum, and so a full solution shouldn't be given; however, I suspect from previous posts that you may be self-learning the subject, and so this is not a homework question]

Last edited:
Why do you need both solutions?

Gyroscope said:
Why do you need both solutions?

Since both [itex]e^{i\omega t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-i\omega t}[/itex] are solutions to the equation, then the general solution will be a linear combination of the two, with the constants determined by the boundary conditions.

Thanks cristo. How can you pass from e^(something) to cosine and sine functions?

Gyroscope said:
Thanks cristo. How can you pass from e^(something) to cosine and sine functions?

Use the definition of complex exponential, namely [itex]e^{\pm i\theta}=\cos\theta \pm i\sin\theta[/itex]. With a bit of rearrangement, we find that [tex]\cos\theta =\frac{1}{2}(e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta})[/tex] and [tex]\sin\theta=\frac{1}{2i}(e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta})[/tex]

Gyroscope said:

Homework Statement

[tex]-kx=m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]

I don't know how to solve differential equations, can someone show me how to do it, with this example.

While the method described above is very useful and practical, don't forget what the equation is asking:

Can you determine which functions x(t) are proportional to minus their second derivatives?

You don't need a [crash] course in differential equations to answer that question.

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a fundamental law in physics that states that the force needed to extend or compress a spring by some distance is directly proportional to that distance. In mathematical terms, it is expressed as F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

2. How is Hooke's Law related to differential equations?

Hooke's Law can be expressed as a differential equation by considering the rate of change of displacement over time. This is because the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement, and the rate of change of displacement is equal to the velocity. Thus, we can write the equation as F = m(d^2x/dt^2) = -kx, where m is the mass of the object attached to the spring.

3. What are the applications of Hooke's Law and differential equations?

Hooke's Law and differential equations have numerous applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used to model and analyze systems that involve springs and elastic materials, such as in mechanical systems, harmonic motion, and sound waves.

4. Can Hooke's Law be applied to any type of material?

No, Hooke's Law is only applicable to materials that exhibit linear elasticity, meaning that the force and displacement are directly proportional and the material returns to its original shape after the force is removed. Materials such as rubber and plastic do not follow Hooke's Law.

5. How do you solve a differential equation involving Hooke's Law?

To solve a differential equation involving Hooke's Law, we can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and Laplace transforms. The specific method used will depend on the specific form of the equation and the initial conditions provided.