Problem understanding a statement in Bose Statistics

• Thread starter Narcol2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Bose-statistics in a book and how it mentions a system with two bosons and multiple energy levels. The total energy of a quantum state is determined by adding the energies of the two bosons. It is clarified that there is only one quantum state with this energy if the two bosons are in different energy levels. However, the person is confused about whether the levels are equally spaced or not, as it was not explicitly stated in the book.
Narcol2000
In a particular book I'm readin on Bose-statistics it metions having a system with two bosons and a large number of energy levels for which the two bosons can occupy. 0, e,2e,3e,4e etc..

It then says the total energy of a quantum state is [tex]E_{ij} = e_i + e_j[/tex] and that there is only one quantum state with this energy if i is not equal to j.

This last part makes no sense to me because clearly [tex]E_{14}[/tex] and [tex]E_{23}[/tex] are separate quantum states with the same energy 5e... unless they mean there is only one state with the energy separated specifically as [tex]e_1 + e_2[/tex]?

This is bugging me quite a bit so if anyone can confirm whether i on the right track I would be grateful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Narcol2000 said:
unless they mean there is only one state with the energy separated specifically as [itex]e_1 + e_2[/itex]?

Yes, that's what they mean. Are you sure they said that the levels were equally spaced? If not, your problem does not arise.

Ah I see makes sense.

The preceeding example in the book was one with equally spaced levels and it wasn't clarified whether the levels in the subsequent example were equally space or not so for consistency i just assumed they were. The book wasn't particularly clear in this respect so I was just a bit confused at the time.

thanks for your reply.

1. What is Bose Statistics?

Bose Statistics, also known as Bose-Einstein Statistics, is a statistical method used to describe the behavior of a group of identical particles that follow Bose-Einstein distribution. It was developed by the Indian physicist Satyendra Nath Bose and the Austrian physicist Albert Einstein in the 1920s.

2. What are the main principles of Bose Statistics?

The main principles of Bose Statistics include the indistinguishability of particles, the fact that particles can occupy the same quantum state, and the fact that the overall wave function of a system of particles must be symmetric.

3. What is the difference between Bose Statistics and Fermi Statistics?

The key difference between Bose Statistics and Fermi Statistics is that Bose Statistics can be applied to particles with integer spin (bosons), while Fermi Statistics applies to particles with half-integer spin (fermions). This leads to different distributions of particles and different physical properties of the system.

4. How is Bose Statistics used in physics?

Bose Statistics is used in various areas of physics, such as quantum field theory, solid-state physics, and thermodynamics. It is particularly useful in understanding the behavior of particles at low temperatures, where quantum effects become dominant.

5. What are some real-life applications of Bose Statistics?

Bose Statistics has many practical applications, such as in the development of lasers, superconductors, and Bose-Einstein condensates. It is also used in the study of black holes and the behavior of particles in the early universe. In addition, Bose Statistics has applications in information technology, such as in the development of quantum computers.